Maestro Keylogger MAY be on my PC, How to find or remove it? ASAP!!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by cheygrl, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheygrl

cheygrl Registered Member

Hi,

I am not very good with computers AT ALL!! I have to disclose that upfront.

However, I found a box that says "MAESTRO Key Logger" in my husbands file cabinet. It is an actual box the software was purchased with and inside there us a CD w/ instructions.

I tried to write everything down but he came home as soon as I stubled upon it so I couldn't get any more info on the version , etc.

I do recall the outside of the box said keylogger, screen shot capture, and I believe browing history, email logins/passwords.

That's when I freaked out. He has no reason to monitor his OWN computer so the only other computer it would be on is mine.

This is so disturbing and when I asked if he ever heard of that software, he said "no, what does it do?"

I left it at that because his computer is the one I should be monitoring as he always makes phone calls OUTSIDE at all times day or night and when he says he's going to be at a certain place for lunch/dinner, I've driven by on my way home from work and his car is never there.

But I don't care about that. I just want his damn, nasty spy program off my laptop ASAP. Luckily I don't have anything to hide but it's the whole point of someone invading your privacy.

I went back to the file cabunet to find the box and see how it shows up on your computer files and the box is suddenly missing along with the disc.

I'm afraid to use a random keystroke remover online because I've heard they are often spyware themselves.

Does anyone know of a genuine, good program that can locate Maestro? I wanted to mention the name of the logger because some are harder to locate than others.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!! Even if someone knows where to look for this on my laptop. I have a an HP Pavillion with Windows Vista 32 bit, home edition. It's an old laptop, got it in 2006, not sure if you need that info but there it is. At the time he likely installed it, I was only using Microsoft Security Essentials, now we have Norton on bothe PC's but he can obviously disable it.

I will set up a password for my own login and a guest one so he can't say "I need your laptop to take to a meeting or some place he can't take his desktop.

Please let me know if you need additional info about my computer, what info you need, and where I would find that info on the laptop. Remember, I'm not computer smart but I do have good instincts and this whole thing sucks!

God knows what else he's spying on? Probably have a GPS tracker on the bottom of my car-lol. I'm sure he's not happy with his spying results, my life is not that exciting or devious.

Guess it's time to find a good divorce attorney-lol. But that's another website search-lol!

Thanks so much for any help. FYI, I don't want to wipe the PC because it has crashed and been totally wiped 4 times in the past, I will get a new one eventually but want this spy wear off the laptop I PAID FOR! This is nOT community property, this is illegal.:)

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

4. caspian

I got in an argument about this with superantispyware too, a long time ago. They do not detect them.

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/684-keyloggers-and-sas/

But Prevx brags that they are quite good at it. Here is an older thread that I started about this.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=246663

And Zemana should also be useful. You should download Zemana for a 15 day trial and run it. http://www.zemana.com/ And maybe run PrevX for free http://info.prevx.com/downloadprevx.asp

You could also talk to the Prevx representative right here on Wilders!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

5. cheygrl

Had Malware Bytes and it did NOT find the keylogger. However my soon to be ex said I should install it because one his clients "is good with computers and send the link".

Turns out the link was sent to him by a girl he's been seeing, saw the original email on his computer one day when he left email up and unattended.

Wow talk about a crappy blow to the ol' self esteem

But it's not about some girl, I want this garbage off my laptop. I'll go ahead and give the other suggestions a shot and let you know if I can find it.

Thank you so much for your replies!!

6. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

if i were you

i will Clean install windows

7. cheygrl

I'm getting angrier by the day abut this, I may buy an ipad and remove the hard drive from this laptop, smash with a sledge hammer, and toss it in a remote lake! LOL.

8. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

reformat and be done with it,then setup a loggin password thats not known by any house hold memebers.

10. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

if you don't want to format which is preferred in your case

try heading to one of the MalwareRemoval Forums

Like Bleepingcomputer and Geekstogo

11. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

It is Illegal to install a Keylogger on someone else's computer, if you find one you can press charges on him and then sue him for all he is worth. If you really think he installed it on your Laptop I would take it to a Computer Shop, or an investigator so you can preserve all of the evidence. chances are he has it set up to send him email reports or something that would prove he is the the culprit.

12. x942

x942 Guest

Considering they live together they probably share bank accounts and any half-decent lawyer will argue he had partial ownership over the computer. I would use it in a divorce case but not to get money or press charges as it's a waste of time.

After removing it (if this is not a computer he should be accessing) I would lock it up in a case or somewhere. Also (if it is a desktop) check for any weird cables or USB devices. You never know if he may try a hardware keylogger.

13. cheygrl

The bank accts were NOT shared and the laptop was original property of the employer. After they revoked remote access, I was able to have the laptop cleaned and paid for by my company, where I file my own taxes (not jointly because I worked all over the US for the US).
    Follow my drift? The device has been handed back over to the employer and they are running a forensic exam of the hard drive. Thank God the laptops were set up with security tracking so they will know where and when it was when the software was installed.

I had to sign my life away when we were issued those laptops and the soon to be ex's name is not on the contract. It's outta my hands now. Guess he should have hired a PI to follow me b/c this is gonna cause him way more trouble than I ever would.

Some people think they are so smart, that deescribes most criminals-lol

14. caspian

With Returnil installed and set to "start virtual mode automatically with Windows", and with a password, it would be virtually impossible to re-install any software.......(pun intended).:argh:

15. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

It is an Heuristic thing

HKEY1952

16. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

It's really crappy what some will resort too. Good luck cheygrl!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.