Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I too love Macrium Reflect as you guys would know by now. :thumb: :-* ;)

2. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Backup Macrium Reflect Program Settings

Guys.

I could probably keep looking through the Registry myself, but if you already know, it will save me doing it.

I have looked under these keys below, but it didn't seem to be right.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macrium\Reflect\Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\macrium\reflect\Settings
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macrium\Reflect\Settings

So, my question is:
    What do I need to do to backup my Macrium Reflect program settings?

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Re: Backup Macrium Reflect Program Settings

Hi Stigg,

Aren't your settings located in OS Drive, which is already being backup by Macrium Reflect and AX64?

Maybe, the program settings are in "My Documents" on a different drive, which then should be backup as part of your Data Drive.

Best regards,

Mohamed

4. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Hi Mohamed.

I would like to be able to easily setup another computer by simply copying the program settings backup.
    Or if I decide to do a clean install of the OS.

5. aladdin

Hi Stigg,

I see.

You have to ask MarcP to determine where these settings are located at. He is the expert on this. I would also like to know the answer to this.

I know that under "My Documents > Reflect", some of the settings are kept there, but I am not sure if all the settings are kept there.

Check the above location to see what settings you have there?

Best regards,

Mohamed

6. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Mohamed.
    That is the Backup Definition Files default folder, but I don't know where the program settings are stored.

I will keep looking or maybe MarcP will come along. ;)

I think that Macrium should implement a settings backup feature into Reflect. :thumb:

7. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Use the free version & thankfully it saved my system after removing AMD graphics drivers caused Windows 7 to get stuck in a startup repair loop.

Safe mode & Last Known Good didn't work, had a 6 day old backup from Macrium Free & restored that.

Since the above a backup is created every night by booting the rescue USB & backing up system drive.

I like the fact that I can use the WinPE 4.0 (windows 8 based) to restore Windows 7.... oh the irony :)

8. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Does "Last Known Good Configuration" Ever Work?

In all the years I have worked on computers, I have never had "Last Known Good Configuration" work for me. :doubt:

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Re: Does "Last Known Good Configuration" Ever Work?

It's worked for me a few times, fwiw. :)

10. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

What settings exactly you're trying to backup? Different things are stored in different places. For example, backup jobs are stored as files on your machine. The schedule is stored with Windows Task Scheduler.

11. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

It's not that easy. The registry settings has information specific to your particular hardware and identity of disks. You can't simply copy that to another machine (or would not validate the serial number anyway). The PE files may or may not be stored in the same location. I don't think you can do that manually by yourself without breaking something.

Even if you just reinstall Windows on the same machine, the disks may be enumerated in a different order.

12. aladdin

Hi MarcP,

Thanks for your expert answer, I also thought along the same lines, but needed your confirmation.

If one needs to move Macrium Reflect license from one computer to another computer, then one needs to deactivate the license from the program itself from the old computer and then move the same license to the new computer.

Best regards,

Mohamed

13. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Re: Macrium Reflect Program Settings Backup

Hi guys.

All I am asking for are Program Settings backup. Some of the settings that are found in "Edit Defaults".
    The actual program settings in Macrium Reflect that I have changed on each computer. Think of it just like any other program that you want to backup the settings for. I have done it on many programs over the years.

I am not looking to transfer licenses or image backups or anything like that.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    I am pretty sure I can find them for myself. I just thought I would save myself the time if someone else had already done it.

Cheers! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Re: Macrium Reflect Program Settings Backup

I don't think there's an easy way to do this. You might have to do this manually with trial and errors. These settings are mixed with other Macrium stuff in the registry. Best thing would be to ask them on their forums. They are very responsive the majority of times. I personally have never done this before. I just bit the bullet and configured my 4 machines individually.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Mohamed did you try and test Active@ Disk Image Professional v5 last version?

thanks
    happy new year to everyone!

16. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

For the time being, I am placing Macrium above AX64 for one reason: Multi-drive support.

AX64 doesn't support multiple drives yet (I have OS on C: and apps on D: ) so I'm using AX64 for the snapshot capability and Macrium for the daily "whole system backup". However, AX64 is *this* close to steal the crown. They just need to push it just a bit farther. :)

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what is it multi drive support?
    thanks

18. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

As I said... I have the OS on drive C: and my apps in drive D:. Multi-drive support would be the ability to backup both drives at the same time. AX64 can't do that yet.

19. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Macrium Reflect 0x01 Error

I have Macrium Reflect to do a full backup on the 1st of every month and a differential backup on the Friday of every week.

I also have Macrium Reflect to keep a maximum of 2 full images and to run the purge before the image.

On the 01/01/2014, I noticed that there was no image made, so I went into Scheduled Backups and noticed that the Full Backup had a 0x01 Error on the 01/01/2014.

I did some Googling and it mentioned something about having full access to my temp folder, which I have. I even run the test that Macrium linked to.

After more Googling, I noticed an old Macrium Support Forum post about the purge before image fails resulting in this error.

This is the first time this has happened and the first time that Macrium has had to purge.

Could it be the purge that is the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

20. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

An error in the scheduler is something reported by Windows Scheduler. If you want to know what went wrong from Macrium's perspective, check the Macrium logs. The scheduler error code is often meaningless.

21. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Thanks.

I'll look into it.

22. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

The other day I was paying attention to AX64's 1.4.0.19 update and saw when I was heading toward choosing my backup destination that all 4 of my drives were listed as options to back up...got really excited...then realized it was just an option to choose one of the drives.

But...could we choose our data drives and do manual backups when desired without screwing up the C: OS/program drives automatic backups?

23. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Well, you could in theory, but I want automation. Therefore I didn't explore that alternative.

24. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I have reported it on the Macrium forum.
    I have sent Nick some data and I am yet to hear back yet. I will report what is found. *puppy*

25. steve_in_jersey

steve_in_jersey Registered Member

Mohamed -

From your comment above, can I assume that CASPER is compatible with AX64? And if so, have you tested CASPER's reliability when co-existing with AX64 (i.e. booted off a CASPER-generated clone or restored from a CASPER image)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.