Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The WinPE is not just fancy windows-style interface, it contains the latest drivers for your system. Microsoft used to charge money to companies Macrium Reflect, if they supplied the WinPE to their customers.

Microsoft has stopped doing this too. Now, Microsoft wants the customers to build their own WinPE by plugins supplied by companies like Macrium Reflect and a direct download of 140MB to 340MB from Microsoft.

In old days, this download was about 3.2GB and for this reason Microsoft was charging money to companies like Macrium Reflect, if they wanted to supply WinPE to their PAID or FREE customers.

For proper restoration, you need WinPE Recovery Media and not Linux Recovery Media.

Best regards,

Mohamed

2. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

hi Mohamed. if the linux based restoration disc can not ensure a proper restoration, it should not be offered in the program. many programs use a linux based restoration disc, which work flawlessly, out of the box. so, it's hard to understand why Macrium Reflect has a problem on this subject. anyway, thanks for the explanations.

3. Niagara73

Niagara73 Registered Member

On of the main advantage of the WinPE recovery Disk is the ability to recognize RAID systems in opposite to Linux based recovery Disks.

This is why I always create WinPE disk for Macrium Reflect. Once WAIK or WADK installed you can forget the first huge download.. :)

4. aladdin

Correct! :)

Even without the huge download of WAIK or WADK, the download for WinPE for Macrium Reflect is from 140MB to 340MB, based on the system.

Best regards,

Mohamed

5. aladdin

Hi Dansorin,

It is not Macrium Reflect which has a problem. It is the Linux based Recovery Media which has a problem based on the system one has and the drivers one has in the system. Linux based Recovery Media is a vanilla solution which might be missing some drivers.

The imaging program makers cannot offer WinPE anymore, because Microsoft stopped them. Therefore, the imaging program makers are giving the free Linux based Recovery Media.

The imaging program makers are now offering plugins to build WinRE within Windows. Macrium Reflect didn't offer these plugins to build WinRE.

However, Microsoft now has pulled the plug on WinRE too by removing two files from Windows 8.1 and therefore, one cannot build WinRE in Windows 8.1.

You are better off with WinPE, because it will build the proper WinPE based on your system and based on the latest drivers in your system.

Best regards,

Mohamed

6. ssbtech

ssbtech Registered Member

I think I set it up correctly to schedule the backups.

I created two backups and named them "Weekly Full Image" and "Daily Incremental" and scheduled them accordingly.

Both have the backup space management set to keep a maximum of two full images.

My reasoning for this was if I just did the incremental backup, it would simply be adding to the one full backup and wouldn't be creating and additional full backup in order to delete old backups.

Is this right or should I just be scheduling one backup - the incremental one?. Seems to me that the incremental backup would eventually run out of space on the destination drive unless I also had a full weekly backup deleting the older backups.

Am I explaining my question clearly enough?

Thanks.

7. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I use a combination of VBScript and DOS batch files to automatically manage my backups and space usage.

I have one backup job that is set to take a differential image daily.

One VBScript that deletes old differentials that are 14 days or more old.

At the start of a month, a DOS batch file renames the folder where the backups are held and creates a new main folder so that the Macrium job runs a full backup next time.

On the 15th of every month, another DOS batch file deletes the old renamed backup folder.

This way, I always have 2 weeks worth of backups. I can adjust the 14 days number to keep, but it fits me.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i ask a question?
    i use mostly terabyte image for windows
    but honestly macrium reflect is an amazing software

well may i know the procedure to clone my OS solid disk drive (windows 7 64bit) to a brand new solid disk ?

should i unplug the source solid disk to boot correctly ?

in shourt could you please tell me the best procedure to clone to my windows 7(solid disk) to a new solid disk?

thanks

9. aladdin

Hi Mantra,

What you are looking for is basically CASPER

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/

You can setup an replacement Disk for your OS Disk and they both can be connected all the time. CASPER will do an initial clone and then any changes to your OS Disk, CASPER will clone those changes only. The idea is that in case of your OS Disk failure, you can substitute the clone disk anytime.

Even if your OS Disk is 1TB, but let us that that you OS Data is 100GB, you can even use a Disk less than 1TB capacity, but more than 100GB.

It is a marvelous program for what it does.

Best regards,

Mohamed

10. aladdin

Hi Mantra,

Cloning with both Macruim Reflect FREE and HDClone FREE is very easy, but I am not sure you can boot with both disks connected. Recently, I replaced my hard drive with 240GB SSD. The OS partition was 140GB and the used was about 90GB.

When I cloned the SSD with both Macruim Reflect and HDClone, the cloned SSD was 140GB and the remaining space was unallocated. When I cloned with CASPER the cloned was 240GB and there was no unallocated space.

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. aladdin

Hi Mantra,

Here is an image of Macrium Reflect. See the two options under the disk:

1. Clone this disk.
    2. Image this disk.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Attached Files:

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks a lot Mohamed!
    very interesting about the unallocated space..!
    do you have experience with image for windows
    casper does cost 50$ :(
    i mean i bought image for windows but i'm considering to buy casper too

13. aladdin

Hi Mantra,

I own almost all the imaging programs, including IFW. My favorites ones in the order as they follow:

1. AX64
    2. CASPER
    3. Macrium Reflect
    4. IFW

Best regards,

Mohamed

14. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

20% Off Macrium Reflect Today

Macrium Software just tweeted this:

If you were thinking about it, then this is good.

15. Flora

Flora Registered Member

I only found out about this great imaging program recently.
    I just have to say that I am very impressed.

16. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I just did a restore on an older computer and it went like clockwork.
    I am really liking this app.

17. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Why do you think that CASPER is better than Macrium Reflect, but worse than AX64?

18. aladdin

Hi Andylau,

It is from my personal experience, from my personal choices and due to simplicity of both AX64 and CASPER.

I like the simplicity of AX64 and it automatic incremental imaging and merging. This is without scripting and extensive programing. AX64 also allows to hot restore the individual incremental image within minutes, rather than the complete chain. It is dual technology, imaging and snapshot restore.

Also, AX64 is very, very fast in imaging, incremental imaging and restoring.

CASPER on the other hand creates a continuous CLONE hard disk with differential imaging, again without scripting and so forth. It can also just restore the individual different image, not the complete chain. Done it once, and don't have much experience with it as for this purpose I mostly use AX64.

Also, one can setup an replacement Disk for the OS Disk and they both can be connected all the time. CASPER will do an initial CLONE and then any changes to the OS Disk, CASPER will CLONE those changes only. The idea is that in case of OS Disk failure, one can substitute the CLONE disk anytime.

Both AX64 and CASPER are very simple to use.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  19. andylau

I see, you like simple GUI
    CASPER looks simple and good from its official description, but not many people use it.

As for general people, Macrium Reflect free is enough for them. Its GUI is not difficult to use and it is free of charge.:D

20. aladdin

Hi Andlylau,

I like AX64 because it is two programs in one. Imaging and snapshot programs.

I like CASPER because again it is two programs in one. Imaging and full time cloning of replacement disk.

Mantra asked the following:

To which I answered that most probably CASPER is the only imaging program which allows the source disk and cloned disk to plugged in while booting. I fully agree with you that Macrium Reflect FREE is one of the best and I heartily recommend to lots of people.

Best regards,

Mohamed

P.S. I also own Macrium Reflect PRO family license, IFW license and own many other imaging software.

21. Flora

Flora Registered Member

I prefer Macrium Reflect more than CASPER and find it easier.

I am probably biased as I am a Macrium fanatic. :D

22. aladdin

Hi Flora,

I fully agree with you. It is an excellent program, and the first imaging program I purchased.

Their support is the best. Nick the CEO of Macrium Reflect is a great man and he is personally involved in providing the support at their forum.

Best regards,

Mohamed

23. Flora

Flora Registered Member

Thanks Mohamed. :)

24. andylau

AX64 has some limitations such as could not imaging at WinPE. Maybe the next RealCopy will be better:D

I also recommend Macrium Reflect Free for my friends. But I do not use Macrium Reflect as Acronis is more convenient for me. I just put Macrium Reflect on my second choice(maybe third).

When I have time, I will download CASPER and have a trial. Just hoping its trial version is full functionality.

Why you own too many imaging apps? I will try before I brought.

25. aladdin

Hi Andy,

AX64 has no limitation with WinPE, as this is the first I ever heard. AX64 uses WinRE and not WinPE. These days, most of the imaging software use WinRE instead of WinPE to avoid massive download of WADK/WAIK so forth.

AX64 and RealCopy are not same product nor intended for the same market. RealCopy is it in its infancy and will in future incorporate the snapshot technology of AX64.

Some people think that Acronis is the worst software but I don't. I own Acronis, and what I don't like about Acronis that you have to buy it every year to rid yourself of bugs, which I think is ridiculous. It is like a wine vintage, some say 2007 was the best year, others swear by 2009, while other 2010, 2011 .....

The reason I own so many imaging software, because as a hobby I am a collector of software.

Best regards,

Mohamed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.