Macrium Reflect 5.0.5089

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by operamail, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Seems no one has posted this update.

Date 12 September 2012
    What's new? 5.0.5089:

Technicians portable appplication mode
    Portable USB version of Macrium Reflect for technicians license customers. Please see the following Blog post for more information,

Destination Backup File Names
    Added support for forcing destination file name when matching image sets.

Mounted Backup File Icons
    Macrium Reflect now uses different icons for Image and File & Folder mounted backups, making it easier to distiniguish between the two.

Bug fixes:

Delete File Dialog
    The Delete File Dialog would double the content of the file list each time the dialog was made visible. This has been resolved.

Dynamic Volumes On GPT
    A rare case existed where Dynamic Volumes, exceeding 6TB, on GPT initialised disks were not being shown in the Backup View. This has been resolved.

Network Locations
    When entering network share destinations in the 'Alternative locations' dialog it wasn't possible to proceed if the share was not currently available. This has been resolved.

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Finally a portable version. Great!

3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I must have fell asleep for not post the update :D

4. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Did they pull the update? Macrium 5.0.4995 keeps telling me that there is no update.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I 've been using version 4.2.xxx for a long time and thought to try v.5. Unfortunately, from the Linux CD, when listing the "target disks", it only lists one of the 2 HDD i have and it's the wrong one...

Back to v4.... :mad:

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Maybe try the WinPE option here?

7. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I have never used the Linux CD. Not when there's a better option...

8. Fuzzfas

Thanks, but i 'm used to the Linux CD, i am back at v.4, why bother when it still works fine... The old Linux CD has uglier interface and it's a bit slower, but never failed me.

The funny with v5 Linux CD, is that is "sees" the partition to which i want to install to when it asks to find the image, but when it shows the "target disk", it shows only 1 HDD (not the one i want). It's weird. But who cares.

I am always more following the american motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

You're on the wrong forum then. Out here, if it ain't broke, break it so you can fix it better. ;)

10. Fuzzfas

Yeah, been there, done that. That's why i don't come so often anymore i guess. :) I have less free time to waste nowdays. And i don't like playing with images. I just re-installed all my programs due to hardware change. I don't want adventures with Macrium. :D

11. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

I attempted to create the Win PE based rescue disk, but discovered it didn't like my FAT32 disk structure, so will have to try again on the NTFS structure later. Does the Linux boot recovery disk work on FAT32 file structure?

Also found I needed .Net 2 installed on my Win XP SP2 level test machine. I guess my tests are on backward compatibility!

I was just using this technology to learn the software before putting it on my Windows 7 machine.

12. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

I have tried every 5.0 version since it was released. Same VSS error with every version. Even on my brand new Dell XPS I get VSS errors. I gave up after following all suggestions. Anyone else with this problem?

13. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I had this problem. Then I tried the Microsoft Fix-It utility which fixed an error I had on my file system. No VSS errors since.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

14. Aventador

Tried that on my other pc. No go. I bought a new XPS and after having it a week I tried Macrium again to see if it was my other laptop causing the issue. Nope. Its Macruim. Windows Backup,Paragon and Easeus all work fine. If all those other 3 work fine then its not my pc with the issue. The Macrium forums are filled with the same error as mine.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. Flexigav

Can you backup and restore the image using either the Linux based or Reflect Win PE based recovery disks? I don't think VSS is used here, so it might isolate the rest of the process from VSS problems to see if the rest of the process is problem free! Just food for thought!

16. Aventador

True but what happens is Macrium will start backing up and 3 seconds later stop and give you a VSS error. So if Easeus and Paragon work just fine how can I have a VSS issue that Macrium speaks of? Yes I have successfully restore a Paragon image using the bootable cd.

17. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

If you're using Paragon's hotcore driver, that would explain it. It's not using VSS.

18. Aventador

Ok that could explain it. But explain how Macrium fails on a 1 week old pc? I even reformatted my other laptop. Same VSS error. So it cannot be related to eother laptop. Just frustrating that's all.

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

If you're asking me to explain everything from a remote location, I can't.

20. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Macrium also bypasses VSS if it's not functioning properly. It does so by using its own proprietary driver "pssnap.sys." At least this is true for Macrium Pro on a Win XP system.

21. Flexigav

Technical question!
    I'm a vocational course student focusing on disaster recovery and the software on offer like Macrium Reflect!

If a partition is larger than the space available to restore to, but the data in that partition is less than 50% of the destination space, does Macrium Reflect 5 resize the partition in the process of restoring it to fit on the destination drive by default, or by selected options presented somewhere in the GUI? OR does it go ahead truncating or risking errors, or refuse to restore to that destination?

If it does resize it, does it also relocate any data so none is lost and keep the MBR files in the right place so the bootup program can find it?

Does the file table reside at fixed sectors in a partition as a standard?

Is the MBR mapped in the file table, or kept on a fixed sector of the partition as a standard where the boot program looks without referring to the partition file table?

22. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Yes. I've done that twice while upgrading two computers to SSD's (smaller drives than the original magnetic one).

23. Flexigav

Could it be possible that one of these drivers downloaded with the Macrium Reflect program has become corrupt. Perhaps you might try another download of the program and see if it behaves correctly!

24. Flexigav

Did you run the restoration from a recovery disk or from the Windows installation on a second physical drive and did you have to set any options to resize the partitions, or was it automatic?

25. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Restored from the CD and the resizing was automatic. Image old drive, remove it, put in new drive, boot from CD and restore the image. Macrium threw a warning that the target disk was smaller, but that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.