Mac not booting from Camptune CD

Discussion in 'Paragon Mac Utilities' started by Rebel250, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel250

Rebel250 Registered Member

I downloaded Camptune, burned it to a CD following the instructions, then attempted to boot from it. All I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Shouldn't something else be happening? Or does it take longer than 10 minutes to boot from a Camptune CD?

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Registered Member

Have you tried booting the CD on another computer? That will make sure the CD you burned is good.

I booted my CD on my system, which is running Linux, and it booted just fine and told me there were no partitions for it to operate on (which is reasonable).

Peace...

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Rebel250,

If the CD is not booting, there could be a number of reasons. Either the CD wasn't burnt correctly or there's a hardware incompatibility that the CD does not recognize.

There's a workaround though. If you boot to Windows, and use Partition Manager 10 Express, we can resize the partitions on one condition that you are taking space away from the Mac OS side and redistributing it to Windows. The opposite direction is not possible.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Essentially, we will shrink the Windows NTFS partition, then expand the Mac HFS partition.

4. NikonMike

NikonMike Registered Member

Just to clarify, the last sentence should be the other way round - shrinking Mac HFS and expanding NTFS?
    I may need to use PM Express as CampTune doesn't see the drive on one of my Macs (details in another thread).

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have gone through a half dozen cd's already trying to get any one of them to boot up on my system. I tried disk utility and toast. Can you please explain in detail how exactly to create this cd so that I am not missing something? I followed the steps but they nothing seems to work. I tried booting holding the "option" key as instructed. No cd option comes up during boot - just either the mac or win icons. Is there a setting in preferences that enables cd boot or similar? This is just so frustrating as I need to increase my windows volume asap.

Here are my specs: Macbook Pro 17" Unibody, Windows 7 Ultimate (64) and OSX Leapard.

The Partition Manager Express 10 free version does not work with Windows 64 bit. It doesn't make sense to pay $40 for the pro version for just a one time deal when I can re-partition instead - beit as painful as it may be. However, I would purchase CampTune if it was working properly since it can deviate between the two operating systems interchangeably - that would be a good investment for my purposes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MD

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. NikonMike

NikonMike Registered Member

@MacDaddy:

I used the Disk Utility (I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 already). I believe I just clicked on the yellow Burn button and selected the ISO image. This worked fine for me. I always use CD-RW for this as things can go wrong and I don't want to make throwaway coasters.

When booting I press the alt button and after a while the CD called "Windows" appears. CampTune is supposedly Linux based but the disc is called Windows. It takes a little longer (few more seconds) for the CD to appear, regular Mac and BootCamp Win drives show up first.

As I wrote in a separate thread, this CD loaded fine on my older MacBook Pro, but not on the newer MacBook which needs repartitioning (boots OK, but finds no HDD). So I'll probably try PM Express as I have 32-bit XP there...

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Registered Member

Thanks for the input Nikon. I just ran another CD exactly the way you told me and the CD doesn't pop up during the boot.. I waited about 5 minutes with both hard drive options on the screen and that's it. Well, unfortunately my patience is running out with this. I realize that this is free so I'll give it credibility there but..... if it doesn't work consistently then it shouldn't be out there yet. Great idea however... Anything else that might work... I am all ears.

Thanks

MD

8. riverwind

riverwind Registered Member

If you go into System Preferences and open the Startup Disk Prefs Pane, with the CD inserted, does it appear in the available boot disks list?

Does the CD show up either on the desktop or in a finder windows' sidebar along with your hard drive?

If you open Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities/ folder, does the disk appear in there when it is inserted?

9. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.