[Lucid Puppy 5.28 review - More goodness

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Lucid Puppy 5.28 review - More goodness

Woof, woof! Enter an enthusiastic review of Puppy Linux 5.28, a lightweight distribution designed for live use, with small memory footprint, excellent performance and good usability; topics include Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia support - Flash, MP3 playback, desktop effects, look and feel, programs, utilities, and more. You will like this one or my name isn't Dedo van der Medo.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/puppy-5-28.html

Regards,
    Mrk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

puppy 5.28 indeed one of best small distro

just one bad thing i feel about it used lot of cpu if you install desklets cpu meters you see but in end the speed it give specialy when copy and run whole from ram its make your system feel like mini supercomputer :D

by the way what are marks out of 10 :D

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I would like Puppy VMs to boot 100% into encrypted swapfile. Is that possible?

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Thank you, mack_guy911.

I didn't explain my goal very well. I'd like to use Lucid Puppy 5.28 VMs in VirtualBox, and have them run without RAM, using only virtual memory pages from encrypted swapfiles. "Why?", you may be asking. Because I'm looking for ways to hide VMs' RAM from their hosts. That's a serious security issue for VPS hosting.

I recall reading that Puppy could run completely from swapfile after full installation, but that minimum physical RAM is configured as 32MB. So far, I have it installed on 5GB virtual IDE SSD, with 1GB swap and 4GB Ext3 root (neither encrypted). It will run sluggishly with 40MB RAM, but not with 35MB.

Suggestions welcomed :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.