LUA and Vista UAC

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jrmhng, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hi All,

Wondering it UAC in Vista works the same as running as a limited user in linux with su function?

If it is not then I'd like just to move to a LUA from my admin account. Is there a way to save all the settings like shortcuts, themes, firefox settings etc?

Jeremy

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

They're very similar.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Is there an advantage then under Vista, to run as a limited user as opposed to running as admin?

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'm not sure, but I think that running a LUA would be more secure than simply relying on UAC to elevate permissions.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I run as limited user in Vista. I prefer LUA over UAC because it doesnt have the permission to do as much as UAC from the beginning, so there are less popups than in UAC. Even though, if I understand it right, no malware can allow a prompt automatically when UAC asks for permission for a system critical task, it just feels better to have to enter a password when that happens (got customed to it from Linux that I use now and then) but thats just me I guess...

Some say it is not ideal to have to use another account (the admin account) when installing or using software that require admin, rather than just elevate the rights of the current limited account you´re logged into (as UAC does, again if I understand it right) Not that I find it so disturbing...

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Why?

/C.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Taken from here:

As it says it is not fatal, but not ideal. For example some software that you install with runas can only be uninstalled when logged in to the admin account. If you open some app, you open it with the settings that belongs to the admin account. A simple example to illustrate this is when I open Totalcommander (a filemanager for those who dont know) as admin in LUA I loose my double click function on my middle mouse because in my admin account I have not set it to double click.

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

O.k, I´m not a Vista user myself so I didn´t know the details. But when I´m installing/updating in XP I always enter my admin account rather than using "Run as..." which isn´t reliable enough. Though the new tool SuRun for XP seems to be a great improvement.

/C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.