low impact web filtering without an antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

2. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Open PandaSecurityToolbar.exe with 7-Zip -> $TEMP -> Extract PandaURLFiltering.exe

Both Panda URL Filter and NortonDNS are great, i'm always going back and forth between them, both really effective.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Can't you use both together? I thought they worked in different ways.

4. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

They both perform web filtering, but sure, you could use both. One probably catches things the other misses. But, i'm using Chromium also with it's inbuilt phishing and download protection so it's overkill for me, imo.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

DynDNS, Open DNS and Google DNS.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

do any of those block malware sites? I saw that opendns blocks phishing sites but their site didn't say anything about malware sites - so I don't know.

I looked at Comodo dns and saw the install instructions are for XP and Vista with no instructions for Windows 7. I'm assuming the Vista instructions will work for Windows 7...but why has this Comodo DNS instruction page not been updated in years? Is their dns service still being actively updated?

http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/switch/computer.html

I don't really want to try Norton even though I hear it is good...I just don't want to support their company or have anything Norton on my system.

I wish Clear Cloud was still around.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

For Open DNS here you go.

Here is a great thread.

8. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Instead of doing that go here: http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/antiphishing/ It is the same as Panda URL Filter.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I am now a little hesitant about this after reading the comments/reviews here

10. acr1965

11. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

FWIW K9 worked fine when I tested it, no slowdowns and lots of catagories to select from. Bear in mind though that it's sort of a parental control program, by which I mean that it tracks every website your computer connects to and displays it in your online viewing page. I squeak louder than a glass and a rubber glove and it still kind of freaked me out lol

12. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Rebranded

13. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

It's just that I've seen a few posts over time in other threads mentioning how you have to install the toolbar to get the URL filter, then uninstall the toolbar but keeping the URL filter as they install separately. I was just pointing out that's not necessarily the case. Also, the Visicom Media version is behind Panda, Visicom Media product version 1.0.1.30 vs Panda 1.0.1.33. I don't know if this matters since it's just an URL filter, just saying.

14. acr1965

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

15. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

I think MBAM Pro uses Hphosts for web filtering. http://hosts-file.net
    Look at the bottom of that website. It states Copyright © 2005 - 2012 Malwarebytes.org - All Rights Reserved

I also use Norton ConnectSafe https://dns.norton.com/

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah Malwarebytes bought hphosts.

17. acr1965

I went to the link below and downloaded/installed the program.

http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/antiphishing/

Then I went to http://hosts-file.net/ (using chrome with js disabled in sandboxie) and checked against probably 40-50 sites from March of this year flagged for phishing, malware distribution and exploits. Many sites were taken down or would not load at all although many of the phishing sites were up fine. This rebranded Panda url filter did not alert a single time.

Does js need enabled for this to work?

18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

PeerBlock works quite well at blocking problem domains. Very light program too. There's a portable version, for when you want to run it on-demand.

Otherwise, if a site you're wanting to access is blocked, very easy to just unblock the domain for say '15 minutes' and continue. You also have the ability to add additional block lists (malware etc) through the interface.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I also noticed it doesn't seem to block anything, where as last time I tested the Panda web-filter it block a ton of links. Maybe the people in charge of updating it are on vacation? lol

20. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

When I tried it, I was using FF with JS being blocked by NoScript, it blocked almost every URL from MDL and malcode but it missed many from one of the lesser known malware sites. That kind of made me wonder about its effectiveness.

I just tried (sandboxed)the rebranded Panda URL filter on a few very old URLs from MDL, it did not block any.

Bo

21. acr1965

Maybe they stopped getting updates? Has anyone tested the real Panda url filter lately?

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I tested an av, while also using the Visicom filter yesterday, and the Visicom filter did indeed catch stuff this time.

Most of the ones the webfilter caught were also flagged by Norton DNS and MS Explorers smart filter (or whatever it is called), so I'm not sure the webfilter adds much at this time if you are using something like Norton DNS, Comodo DNS, etc...

23. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I noticed the version seems a few behind Pandas, but it is being updated throughout the day, as the signature version changes.

24. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

FYI the filter (panda/visicom) is the self same filter that is also in Ad-Aware 10.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I thought AdAware10 uses Vipre. Does that mean Vipre also has the same web-filter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.