Lost the help file pdf association

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bnlsrv, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnlsrv

bnlsrv Registered Member

I updated Acrobat reader to 7.0 and launched True Image before accepting the agreement for Acrobat 7.0 so it couldn't find a program to read the help file. Acrobat pdf files are now associated with Acrobat 7.0 but when I press the Help ? from within True Image it says: There is no application associated with the .pdf file name extension.
    I can open the file from within the folder.
    I have reinstalled True Image 8.0 with build 800. No change.

Any ideas?
    Registry edit?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bnlsrv,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please do the following:
    - Navigate to C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage;
    - Find the User's Guide in pdf format;
    - Right click on this pdf file and choose "Open with...";
    - Choose Acrobat Reader and check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box.

After that you should be able to open the Help from Acronis True Image main screen.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. bnlsrv

bnlsrv Registered Member

I did that and it didn't work from within the help menu with your program running. I can open it from within the folder.

I believe I need some kind of registry edit since reinstalling True Image after
    Acrobat 7 was up and running didn't fix this.

In your program folder it shows the help pdf file as an Acrobat 7 icon, and double clicking it opens it fine. Just can't get it to work from your help menu with your program running.

Do you think reinstalling Acrobat 7 will fix this?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bnlsrv,

This is really strange since according to your description (that double clicking on the file opens it) the file association is already performed. Please try to close Acronis True Image and reinstall Acrobat. If this doesn't help please write a letter to support@acronis.com indicating that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will describe this situation to our Development Team and will help you with the solution to the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

I came across this on another support forum for the same problem with Picture Window Pro i.e Reading PDF from within a programme

I recently upgraded from Adobe Reader 6 to AR 7 - and now I can't access the Electronic Manual from within PWP. When I click on Help / Open Electronic Manual I receive an error: Cannot Load Electronic Manual. Double-clicking on the file itself from Explorer works perfectly. I just can't get to it from PWP. I suspect that PWP can't find the Adobe Reader - apparently the upgrade broke something. How can I fix?

and the answer was

ingo - problem solved! I patched the Registry by correcting the path to AcroRd32.exe (the incorrect path had been located in three separate keys). PWP now works flawlessly and can open the Electronic Manual from the Help menu. David - my path was exactly the same as yours and, as you predicted, that fix did solve the problem. Interestingly, when I tried to fix the string in the Folder Options / File Types / Advanced / Edit dialog my change didn't stick. Windows appeared to accept it but when I checked back the string had reverted to its old value. Apparently Windows was taking the value from the Registry and ignored any change coming from Explorer. (Yes, I do have Administrator privileges.) I can't understand where the incorrect Registry values came from: they pointed to Acrobat (not the Reader) but it has never been installed on my system. They could *only* have been changed when I installed Reader 7. This problem didn't exist under V6.

Other comments are:

Adobe is not known for the robustness of their Windows development. This is clearly a bug in their installer

See http://www.dl-c.com/discus/messages/2/5066.html?1108647980 for full discussion

6. bnlsrv

bnlsrv Registered Member

I uninstalled Acrobat 7 and reinstalled it on the C drive ( was on the D drive)
    Everything is working now.
    Thank you
    Bill :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.