lost all settings

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by donsan, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donsan

donsan Registered Member

dsl service went down last night in dallas so i shut my computer down this morning i restarted and found that all my settings in pg 2.0 were gone what do i need to do to get them back. please help as soon as possible windows xp sp2 rc1

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Donsan, The easiest way would be to do a system restore to a point before your outage, Sytem restore should correct the corrupted settings but will not effect any work you have saved.
    If this does or does not work please reply with your findings.

One of the things I do with Process Guard and dcsuserprot.exe disabled, got to the \windows\system32 folder - find pguard.dat & pghash.dat high light them both, right click and "Send to" compressed (zipped) folder. This will create a zipped archive called pguard.zip which you can use as a backup in situations such as yours. This file can be stored wherever you keep your normal back ups and restored should the need arise.

I am going to add that to Tips Tricks & FAQ's :)

3. donsan

donsan Registered Member

hi phill thanks for info,I tried system restore and that didn't work so i uninstalled pg and reinstalled and now i have the std protection items back but it also put all the processes in as well that i had before should i just remove them and add them back again they are all just blank with no protection flags at all.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi donsan,

When you shut down your computer, did you just press the power button ? We think disk corruption could be causing this and that is a sure way to corrupt files..

Please schedule a disk repair (CHKDSK /F) and let us know if the problems go away after uninstall / reinstall

5. donsan

donsan Registered Member

hi gavin,no i shut down my computer in the proper manner when sbc went down. I also tried to remove the blank files by the remove files tab but that did not work i will run a check disk tonight when i get home and then reinstall to see if that helps will let you know.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Gavin, I think you are correct about the chkdsk/f as this did happen to me on one occasion, hence the back up :) The protected list would show but only with the number of items listed no file names and no paths and windows did require a chkdsk/f.
    Can't remember what I was doing at the time to cause the crash though.

Enjoy your holiday :D

7. donsan

donsan Registered Member

all is well again thanks to quest.I uninstalled pg rebooted and deleted two files called pghash.dat and pgguard.dat rebooted and then installed pg again now every thing is as it shoud be i did have to add all my security programs back but i didn't mind.Just thought i would post this in case others have this problem. oh ya i love the new fourm looks awson. :rolleyes:

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad to here that Donan, Now remember to back up those two files! ;)

9. donsan

donsan Registered Member

will do that for sure thanks to all on this fourm who offer there time to help others with there problems when they arise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.