Looking for Specs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I picked up 2 towers today off of Craigslist for free. Hoping to set one up as a server and store media on and use the other to install a hardware firewall on. One is a Sony Vaio PCV-90. The other is a Compaq Presario CM0900 series. All I know is that the Vaio has an Intel Pentium CPU. Anyone have any specs at all?

And no I cant turn them on and check. I dont have a monitor handy or a VGA cable to wire up my TV as a monitor.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    A quick Google shows you could have a blistering Pentium 200 in that rig, max mem 128 megs of.....EDO!!! It'll run Windows 98 sort of tolerably.

I think this person found a cheap way to get rid of stuff that they'd have to pay for to dispose at the dump.

Won't make much of a server...even with something as light as FreeNAS, and then you'll most likely have a hard drive limitation size from the old IDE 33 days....won't be able to install much of a hard drive of decent capacity without resorting to those cranky drive overlays.

Most of todays *nix router distros desire more power than that.

The Compaq might work better, at least it's Pentium 3 era.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Nah the guy was older in his 60-70s I want the stuff and if I didnt take it he was donating them to a christian charity. Ill figure something out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.