Looking for help choosing right program for School Lab

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by jasgot, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasgot

jasgot Registered Member

I want to fully protect the PCs in the school Lab and almost fully protect the teacher's PCs.

I have purchased Deep Freeze for the lab and now find myself in a pickle. We must use a Virtual CD Rom Drive (slysoft, MagicDisk, Magic ISO, etc...) but DF goes nuts and fails after the second reboot when one of these Virtual CD Drivers is loaded.

I know find myslef looking at Clean Slate, wich would be perfect for the mixed use environment, but I don't like the idea of having to commit, and allowing access to the CS app by those who are most likely to mess up the PC.

So, I am looking for a couple of top notch ideas to go back to the drawing board with.

I appreciate any comments you have to help guide me along.....

For the LAB, I think returning to a known image at every logoff or reboot is good. For the Teachers, a little more flexibility would be enjoyed by most.

Jason

2. roady

roady Registered Member

3. jasgot

jasgot Registered Member

Look promising, I'm testing it tonight.....

Thanks.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. jasgot

jasgot Registered Member

HDGuard is definately not for a class environment, too loose, or at least the default setup is left open for the user to toy around with. It is not easy to install and configure, and the demo version is VERY crippled.

CenturianTech's SmartSheild was one of our choices, but it doesn't allow you to manipulate any registry settings. This means, in a domain environment, you'll be building a new user profile every time you log in to the PC.

Deep Freeze uses a product they call Data Igloo that allows you to move registry keys to the unprotected space. So, when you create a new profile, (you have redirected the profile location, of course), it remains when you restart because you would have "HKLM\Software\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" in the "igloo".

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.