Looking for firewall similar to Sygate's

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ohblu, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I think you guys got a little off-topic. :D

I tried out the PC Tools firewall as well as Zone Alarm (not at the same time) and didn't really like either of them. With Zone Alarm, I set Firefox to "allow" but ZA kept blocking it. I never could figure out why it was doing that so I uninstalled it. I really don't have time for that crap. Sygate 5.1 was so easy to configure. Why are all these other firewalls so difficult? I'd like to try Sunbelt Personal Firewall but I heard that there are issues with NVIDIA drivers.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Not sure about the free but the pro has an option to "switch to small toolbar" which displays just 2 small icons in the bottom right hand corner of firefox.I would guess the free has this feature too ,though i cant confirm it.
    ellison

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, its there in the free version too...

4. risl

risl Registered Member

Not mentioned in SPF readme document under known issues. I'd guess it's a conflict between sunbelt firewall and nvidia firewall that is bundled with nforce drivers. Disable the nvidia firewall before installing if you have it :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Sygate is an excellent firewall. It still does everything you need a firewall to do (imo). It just might be what you're looking for? :)

If you need more protection you can always add other hips defensewall / threatfire, etc.

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I use Sygate and kerio 2.1.5 firewalls on my XP. Not installed same time of course

Just to let all who are new know, not many perhaps, that my Sygate firewall guide will be changing a site.
    The new link is: http://www.saunalahti.fi/jars2/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

Jarmo

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Can anyone please inform me about Look n' Stop lite. I have found in a old thread that the trial version get converted to the lite version on expiry.

I think there are two more non-HIPS free firewall. These are
    1. Windows 7 firewall control. Not for XP.
    2. Fortinet Personal Firewall, Comes bundled with the standard version of endpoint security but can be installed as standalone. XP to Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.