looking for a HardDrive enclosure that is not a piece of crap?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Warlockz, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

This one supports both SATA and IDE (PATA) but I have no personal experience with it.

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Hi Bill. Sorry to be late on my reply.

Thanks for your suggestion, I am investigating it and will compare with my other options, in regard to my limited budget.

Thanks again for your helping time here. :thumb:

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on, then once installed, how you like it.

4. ruinebabine

Yes, sure I will at time!

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Slightly off topic but related to external drive enclosures. Does anyone know of an enclosure that can power down a drive if the drive is inactive for a certain amount of time? I know this option is available if you buy a branded external drive, like from WD or Seagate etc, but when you buy the drive and enclosure separately you do not get this facility. I have two enclosures one Vantec NexStar 3 and other a similar looking no name made in China. Both do not power down the drive even if the drive is not accessed for hours. You can feel the drive spinning inside and the enclosure remains warm to touch.

Also, if someone know of a software utility that can help in this situation. Let me know.

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Answering my own question: HDDScan has a utility to set "power management" for external usb based hard drives, provided the hard drive inside the enclosure supports the feature. Most older hard drives support the "power management" feature, while most newer ones also support "advanced power management".

7. ruinebabine

I was and is always interesred to buy this one when budget will be more healthy, but for now I will simply use this adaptor kit to directly transfer my old ATA hard drives' data on on my new PC (only sata and usb connections are available on this ASUS crossfire IV formula MB).

But I would also be interested to know of any user's experience with this particular dock or some other similar one...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.