Looking for a firewall with these criteria

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ybox, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybox

ybox Registered Member

Hi all,

I am currently using a dell inspiron 8500 behind a hardware firewall. I do not use a software firewall when I'm behind the hardware firewall but need one when I go to work. I know that some firewalls conflict with programs such as bittorent even when deactivated. I am looking for a firewall that passes all the leak tests and does not conflict with programs when disabled. Can anyone recomend a firewall with these criteria?

Thanks,

ybox

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Hardware firewall won't protect you from the outbound software leaks.
    So why you need some software firewall that passes "all" the leaktest when you are without hardware firewall then?
    I assume you use this same puter on both invironments?

But most firewalls have an 'allow all' mode. So you follow the threads in here and choose one that sounds most pleasing. Least complaints etc, hehe.

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

What a oxymoronic request, you don't use a software firewall when behind a hardware firewall, but want leaktest protection when only using a software firewall...

Any software firewall will do as you never had leaktest protection with the hardware firewall, and the fact you want it now means you don't really know what you need.

If you run Windows XP just enable the XP firewall... It will act like your hardware firewall.

4. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm running a 6100 modem with a built in router on dsl high speed internet. I use kerio 2.1.5 to control outgoing programs. Leaktests? If I'm not mistaken these are nothing more than browser exploits. Not sure though.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Comodo or Jetico are probably your best options.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Leaktests = proof of concept of Windows design flaws which could be used by malware to evade firewall´s network access enforcement.

7. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Thanks for the info lucas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.