Looking for a download manager...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm trying to find a download manager for a relative that allows the following:

Suppose there's an URL that goes something like -hxxp://www.some_domain.com/some_file-2011-11-26

I'm looking for a download manager that gets that file, and then, on a schedule, looks for --hxxp://www.some_domain.com/some_file-2011-11-27. If it finds it, downloads it; otherwise, keeps the previous file.

Are you aware of such download manager? I've been looking around, but so far, by looking at their features, found nothing useful.

I don't think FDM allows it? That's the one I use, but it doesn't have such feature, that I'm aware of. :oops:

If you're aware of something, it would be great. :thumb:

Thanks

2. m00nbl00d

-edit-

I just thought of wget. :oops: It does allow wild cards in file names. Maybe that will work.

Anyway, if you know any other, I'd appreciate it. :thumb:

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've had good luck with Download Studio. We had set it up to pull down server backups from an FTP with the Scheduler functionality. Not free but the best download manager I have used.

4. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Maybe IDM - Internet Download Manager ?

5. m00nbl00d

Thanks. I downloaded it and will give it a try.

@ ViVek

I didn't even think about it. Thanks. :thumb:

6. m00nbl00d

I gave IDM a try, but from what I could see it doesn't have the functionality we're looking for.

Also, the new groups/categories creation feature is really poor; it won't allow sub-groups/sub-categories. Quite stupid; quite lame for a paid application not allowing such. Unless I missed some special setting...

If I had to choose between FDM or IDM, I'd pick FDM all the way. FDM does allow to create sub-groups. I really expected more from IDM, considering it's a paid product. FDM puts IDM to shame, from my brief experience with it.

IDM does support more browsers, though. I didn't verify if it works or not, considering IDM is not what we want for the task we want.

I'm going to test DownloadStudio tomorrow and see if my relative likes it enough to keep it; unless I find a free alternative. :D

7. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

try software updaters to check for update..
    use IDM to dpwnload update..
    But u have to do manually..;)

i dont think there is a download manager with functions u wrote...:rolleyes:

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Download managers do not have such feature.
    What you need is an offline browser utility like httrack (for http) or an ftp client like FileZilla (for ftp).

Panagiotis

9. m00nbl00d

That was the conclusion I was coming to.

Kinda freakish that download managers don't have such functionality. They should manage any kind of possible downloading scenario... :blink:

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Not really, I don't there is the demand for such features in a download manager which is the reason for them not having it.

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Ketarin might work.

12. m00nbl00d

I actually use it myself, to download new software versions. I never really thought about it to download these files. But, yes, it might work. Who knows...

I'll give it a try. Thanks for bringing it up. :thumb:

13. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Did Ketarin work?

14. m00nbl00d

I still haven't looked at it. I'll see if I can check it later on or tomorrow. I'll report back. :)

15. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You might want to have a look at ftp based clients for your needs, they do http too. For example, have a look at CuteFTP Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.