Looking at Win7 Taskbar App-Launchers.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I'm looking at Win7 app-launchers (of the taskbar type) such as 7Stacks, Jumplist-Launcher and StandaloneStack. If anyone has had experience with any of those (or ?) I would be very interested in receiving your feedback.

I want to unclutter my desktop by placing icons of similar apps into a taskbar icon for each grouping. Then by clicking on (or hovering over) a 'group icon' I could select the specific app I want to launch. I am not interested in desktop docks, or launchers requiring keyboard entries.

Thanks in advance.

Cruise

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Can you elaborate as to why you love it? Also, which Windows version are you using?

Cruise

4. MrBrian

I'm using Win 7 x64.

It's nice because you can set up your own menu system, including subfolders if desired. I use two Free Launch Bar folder icons just to the right of the Start menu button. The first icon, when clicked, opens a list of programs that I use frequently. The second icon, when clicked, opens a list of documents that I use frequently. It's all mouse-based, so there are no key combinations to remember. It might work with the keyboard also, but I don't use it that way. I reviewed the program briefly at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308728.

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

MrBrian,

After a quick look at FLB I find it's not quite my 'cup of tea', but thanks for your replies!

Cruise

6. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

In case you missed it, there's a link in the link in my last post that should be of great help to you (including comments section).

7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I didn't miss it - I clicked on it before installing FLB - then I tried it out. ;)

Cruise

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I don't see any advantage (over Win7's taskbar) that a QL-bar would bring! o_O

Cruise

10. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Personally I just use windows' built-in facility to add stuff to the taskbar. Probably not an ideal solution but works okay for me.

Attached Files:

11. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hi Cruise,

I kind of went through the same process with my W7 laptop. My desktop was cluttered with icons and the icons in my taskbar almost reached the system tray!

After trying various app launchers, docks, and taskbar-enhancers (over several days), I came across Stardock's Fences. Fences is totally cool in that it provides a means of organizing the icon mess on one's desktop. Once I did that I've never had any problem in quickly locating the program I want to launch.

Each created fence (group of similar apps) can be as large or small as desired and is assigned a title of your choice. You can have as many fences as necessary ...and when you just want to look at your desktop's wallpaper you need only to double-click on any empty space on your desktop and the fences will disappear (double-clicking on the desktop brings them back).

I've been using Fences for about a year now and it's definitely my 'cup of tea'. :D

Regards,
    Wendi

Ps. Fences will cost you all of $10 (there is a 30-day free trial).

12. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

taotoo,

I believe there's something wrong with your attached image and I really don't know what it is that you're referencing. o_O

Cruise

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Wendi,

Thanks so much for your suggestion that I checkout Fences. I really appreciated reading your explanation as to what Fences does and why you chose to use it. It sounds very interesting - I'll definitely try it out!

Cruise

14. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hey Cruise,

I second Wendi's recommendation. I'm a very satisfied Fences user. Totally utilitarian, it organizes your shortcuts so you can quickly find and run them, and has minimal impact on system resources. The smartest $10 I ever spent. :thumb:

TS

15. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Not sure if the image is displaying correctly or not, but I was referencing:

"I want to unclutter my desktop by placing icons of similar apps into a taskbar icon for each grouping. Then by clicking on (or hovering over) a 'group icon' I could select the specific app I want to launch."

It's simply individual taskbar shortcuts to folders that contain groups of apps/files/folders (or indeed shortcuts to apps/files/folders).

16. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree with taotoo.You can create a toolbar called menu or whatever you wish,place folders in there under various headings such as office,network,security etc and just put shortcuts to those program's in there.

Attached Files:

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I really like Fences too. I've been using it since the 1.0 version which was freeware (don't know if a free version is still available). It's a good solution for organizing desktop icons and reducing their visual impact so you can see you're wallpaper :) but I don't really think of it as a "launcher". I use the Nexus dock for quick access to the programs I use most often.

18. Rules

Rules Registered Member

19. niki

niki Registered Member

I've got 3 folders of them in my taskbar with their shortcuts to programs I use on a regular basis. These folders are residing in My Documents.

Photobucket doesn't seem to work this time around since I tried to put up a pic with this reply.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  20. niki

niki Registered Member

OK. Attachment then.

Attached Files:

• apps.jpg
      apps.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  21. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for 'Free Launch Bar' suggestion!

I replaced my Quick Launch for this enhanced Quick Launch.

Thanks again.

22. MrBrian

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ MrBrian, BTW do you know how to bold titles like it is in this picture?

24. MrBrian

In "FLB Settings", there is a "Colors" section. That might work.

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems not...

:doubt:

Edited:
    Humm... Maybe in 'True Launch Bar'.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.