Looking at a possible change in AV...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I'm looking at a possible change in AV from BD 10 as reported some months ago. :eek:

The new BD 2008 may or may not be included in the next AV report?:doubt:

But the work to either stick with BD 10 or a possible move to NOD 32 will depend on the AV Comparatives.

It's odd, I like BD 10 even though I had to reinstall it today as I'm familiar with it and probably the easiest would be to stick.

But I must not let emotion effect the security of my PC! :oops:

I'd rather get 99.9 % of the viruses and a few quarantined FP's to deal with than 95% of them and 0 FP's?

But what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  2. Escalader

my BD AV 10 subscription expired today

Hello Fellow Posters on AV's.

Well, my BD AV 10 subscription expired today.

Due to other time demands, I have NOT followed my own advice and done the analysis to select and or followed IBK's advice to check out other lab results. :oops:

I have followed IBK's advice to trial before buying.:thumb:

So, I have gone for a 30 day trial of BD AV 2008 which is not the version tested in the AV Comparatives August report. :( It wasn't available then I assume)

Already I note some differences with BD AV 10. The rootkit and memory optional scans seems gone so I need to find out if they are just embedded in the normal scan process. I suspect that is the case BUT I don't know it yet.

They have added a antiphishing feature on IE 6/7 but I can't see it on FF. Which has it's own as an ad on. The email scan doesn't seem to allow me to alter the ports as I need since my ISP uses some non standard ports.

The privacy feature has been upgraded and I will mess with that a bit to see if it has the same flaws as ZA Pro's did. But I will post on this feature elsewhere for historical reasons. PM me if you need more data.

My other ideas post the 30 days ending in October are to move to trials of selected other Top rated AV's. NOD 32 and I can get a free Norton from my ISP so I'd like to look at that one since they seem back in the game!

Moderator(s) If you want please move this post if it is OT.:D I've saved it so I can post it as required.:thumb:

3. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Re: my BD AV 10 subscription expired today

Rootkits and memory scan are under the scanning settings.

You can create your own job that will only scan for rootkits or memory like in BD 10 if you want. But if you do a full scan of your system, rootkits detection and memory scan are included by default. :)

BD 2008 was not included in the test, but as far as I know, it's still the same scanning engine(7.x) so results should be almost similar.

Kin

4. Escalader

Thanks Kin:

Your post says what is the case for my expired BD 10. On checking the settings in advanced etc for BD Av 2008 I can't find Rootkits and memory as separate. Pls provide steps to find the GUI is differerent

Can you give me a jpg?

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Try opening Bitdefender's advance settings. Click on "Scan" tab. Right click on "Full System Scan" in System Task menu. Choose "Properties" on the right click menu. Click on "Custom Level" button. You show be able to find the root kits options ect. there.

I hope this helps.

6. Escalader

TY, Malcontent, it did help. But the separate runs under BD 10 are gone!

How does the user best think about actions to take, I set mine as action 1 disinfect if fails Action 2 is move to quarantine? Sometime the defaults are like do nothing/take no action?

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Theres 3 options now in Custom Scan, on my Other PC I have it set as:

1: Disinfect/Delete (Infected File Detected)

2: Deny Access/Copy to Quarentine (Suspicious File Detected)

3: Deny Access/Do Nothing

this seems the safest route to me :cool:

8. Escalader

TY DVD+R.

It is easier to build mine now that I saw your policy

One the conditions I want to avoid in my options is forcing BD (or any AV) to delete a file that is a FP. (there was a thread on this a week back). You may not have this concern but I like to avoid avoidable problems if possible.

So how about this as a FP BD AV 2008 policy:

1) Infected: Disinfect/Move to Quarantine
    2) Suspect: Deny Access / Move to Quarantine

My custom scan is a work in progress but 2 other questions I have are:

1) why scan for Dialers of I'm on Cable?
    2) hidden files offers rename,move and take no action? why different actions?

If you don't know not to worry!

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Looks a safe bet to me ;)
    Diallers dont mean that they are just isolated to dial up connections, a dialler is a software that will try and establish a connection via your internal modem if you have one, just like setting up a connection to your dial-up internet, you nedd an area and access code, as do these diallers. Even though you are on Cable tou still have the Internet Connection Wizard in Windows that uses these types of phone line connections, so do Diallers, but these diallers are actually Trojans
    As for point 2 I'm not too sure why there are different settings for hidden files

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.