look&stop rules/filters help manul

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mantra, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i read the guide in this forum about install look&stop & configure it , and it's a great guide!

i use outpost , and i would like to try look and stop, outpost is very easy because you work with rules, but look&stop , i found it very difficult

is there a manual or guide (easy ) to learn how to make filters for programs?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

go here to find some preset rules u can download or click here to find a lil bit of info on editing/creating rules. if u need more help just respond back and maybe someone can help you adjust ur rules.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks !

i'm an outpost user
    when I start a program for the first time that try to connect to internet , outpost with rules wizzard guide me step by step to create a new rules set, and this is is very easy , i can allow or block the software or make a set of rules, outpost advises me about every operation of the program

does look and stop do the same?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  4. WSFuser

nope, if u want a rule bound to an application u have to edit ur (pre-existing) rules, click on applications and then add ur program from the right column. also u can only select program that u already allowed with lns.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

What you referring to is something you’d commonly see in pure Application-filtering based software firewalls where you be prompted with connection information and make possible custom controls.

Look ‘n’ Stop slightly different then what you’d be use to seeing, the basic function of the Application Filtering is to detect and permit/deny server/client accessing network environments, also allow or not a start of software that will connect, when you permit connection rights it then relies on the packet-filter. There have been some enhancements to Look ‘n’ Stop actual Application Filtering layer where you can now permit/deny packets based on restrictions (accessing by merely double-left clicking the application-filtering entry).

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    but for example , now i'm tring l&s , i use a trial version
    i'm going to do rules for miranda , soulseek & foobar
    i don't know what do miranda ,soulseek & foobar need to work!(protocol ,ports , remote ip)

how can i make good rules for these application?
    how can i monitor what do they need?

in the l&s log , i can't find info about the programs, the log tells me almost every thing but not the name of the program

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Application filtering and Packet filtering are two different things.
    Probably you already allowed these applications to connect, so for application filtering that's it.
    After that if the application can't connect, probably this is because the packet filter is not allowing some packets. You should see these packets in the logs, with a simple right click on one of these packets you can add a rule automatically.

Frederic

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Frederic
    thanks i need your help , bacause i'm thinking to leave outpost for look & stop

so i need to make a question

I installed look & stop like the guide in wilders security forum and i loaded Enhanced Rule Set and i follow step by step the guide

now my question
    when should run a program(that need internet) , what should i do ?

1) Allow this program , (don't make an application filter for this program ) and look & stop will control it for me,without worry about miranda or...
    worr
    2) allow this program and make packet or application filters for this programs manually (if i don't find a rules for it)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  9. WSFuser

many programs dont need specific packet filter rules but for IM and p2p programs or games, then u will have to make rules if not already available on the lns rules page.

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, just allow the application when Look 'n' Stop display the popup.

Then:

- if you don't see any issue for the application to connect and use internet, the configuration is complete (for a standard usage).

- if you see the application has some problems:
    - look if a ruleset is available for that application in our FAQ
    - if not available, ask the forum in case someone has the rule
    - if nobody has the rule, you will have to look at the Look 'n' Stop log page to create a rule (either manually by looking at the port, protocols..., or automatically with a right click)​
    Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.