Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iAMjayzzz, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iAMjayzzz

iAMjayzzz Guest

I can't stay logged on as myself here at Wilders' and post, nor can I find enough things to shut down in this machine, which is not my own, to allow it to work.

I've got a situation in the Dell. When starts, see normal Blue Dell on black, then XP Home start up as usual, but at time Kerio loads and when log in is normally done, the field flashes by and the machine is stuck on saying that Windows is opening, and never does. A default system beep from the tower accompanies this. Seems related to identity of log on-er.

Can anyone tell me what Function key to do what to to accomplish something? I don't know who or what is safe in safe mode. Used it and added an identity about an hour ago, but it didn't fix problem. I apologize for explaining this all badly, I'm sure.

This is I'm using is not mine. Will watch board for reply...Thanks in advance. mj (incognito against my will)

2. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Re:user name error at log on

Thank you, Pieter, for your emailed advice which has got me this far back.

The machine started after the restore with the same error message as yesterday, which says that "[the system could not log you on. Are you sure User name is correct? Type it and try again]," :doubt: more or less. The user name is shown correctly and I was able to enter the password right afterwards but it's the same error message I saw yesterday, so I wonder if next boot will bring back same issue.I downloaded a new tweaker toy and then tweaked with it...dunno if relevant or not, but sure could be. :rolleyes: Perhaps I should regress another 24 hrs....will see how it goes. mj :)

3. root

root Registered Member

If you just did some "Tweaking" shortly before your troubles started, it is highly likely that this is the source of your problems.
    If you have a restore point prior to using this tweaking program I would think that would be worth a try.
    I don't know what Pieter had you do and I don't want to interfere if he is still working with you on this.

Before you try that, would it be possible to undo the tweaks you did? If you're not sure, that could cause more problems.

One thing I do before I start tweaking is to back up the full registry. Usually tweaks only involve changing registry entries, and with a backup of the registry, you can easilly undo any accidental damage.

Good luck. :)

4. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

You've given me the same advice that Pieter gave, differently phrased. Thank you very much.

I restored it to about 20 hrs. ago and it let me in, but with same error message and beep from the box as yesterday morning, which was before I did any tweaking. In any case, I followed your suggestion about undoing the tweak related to logging on.

A reboot will tell the tale, and just got an email that a friend I tried to reach before trying to post is now home. Will go for input there before risking reboot. Was warned to be careful with tweaks.... ;)

Again, gracias. mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.