Lockdown Comodo Configuration

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by n8chavez, May 23, 2016.

1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I am just curious about how others configure Comodo to offer as much protection as possible. It seems there are a lot of people that really like the firewall, even more so now because most other third-party alternatives, i.e. LnS, Outpost, Jetico, etc., are all dead. I like Comodo. But I know that things can always be configured better, in this case to offer better protection that the default settings. How do you chose to do that? How do you that the HIPS and sandbox configured? I used to use sandboxie and HMP.A. But honestly I like Comodo better, since it has a HIPS and sandboxie never really seemed to add any tangible benefit to me.

I'm just looking for ideas.

2. guest

guest Guest

Comodo has too many unsolved bugs; i spent hours to lockdown it, just to see that all my tight rules has been deleted the next day. And i'm not the only one to experienced it.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's interesting. That's also not the first time I've heard of Comodo being hard to configure or having bugs. I guess I'm lucky, because I've never experienced any issues with it. I've certainly never had my rules deleted.

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

If you mean by "lockdown" no popups and silent blocking then the last my Comodo lockdown config was the following:
    FW: Custom ruleset
    HIPS: Safe Verbose
    AutoSandbox in default mode (Block Malicious, Virtual Unrecognized)

After some period of training when there's no popups from FW and HIPS and no new installations it's possible to put FW and HIPS in "Do NOT show popup alerts, Block Requests".

And yes, not every PC can get along with Comodo.

5. guest

guest Guest

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Chavez- Don't overthink things with Comodo, as that's where problems occur. Just because a product has a million checkboxes does not mean that one has to enable them all. Comodo is one of those rare products where less is more.

7. Appaloosa

Appaloosa Registered Member

I have it configured according to cruelsister's recommendations and wouldn't consider using anything else. I don't spend all day everyday trying to break it, but it hasn't let us down on two systems in close to two years. Users ranging from beginner to medium ,banking, shopping , kids games. Truly been set and forget.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

9. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

Its not retarded, its there to make threads look smaller and better.

10. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Note: Those spoiler things are often not coded well and become a PITA if Javascript is disabled or they rely upon third-party scripts.

11. Infected

Infected Registered Member

What settings are you running? Or do you have a link to what CS suggested?

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The " only rule ", with every HIPS, is " deny for default / allow for except ". I set Cis Defense+ at the beginning in Paranoid mode, and i never change it. Agree with n8chavez: if you set Defense+ in the higher mode you have a full control of your system, better than using the sandbox.

13. guest

guest Guest

hehehe, for me it is "toying" and i love toying , one reason i have/had many complicated security softwares; softwares like Webroot or Emsisoft post OA era (despite being good) are deepest pits of boredomness :p

14. Solarlynx

+
    Being hater of "training mode" I still never did it completely as I don't like too many popups.

++
    Didn't you ever "overtoy"? I regularly over-twist my security setup so my PC became to so comfortable to use. :cautious:

15. guest

guest Guest

Nope, i expect my system to be usable (for me) after tinkering it; and i have a good idea how my system should be.

16. Solarlynx

:thumb:

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I used cruelsisters config ,from her vid.Only difference is I didnt disable alerts as Ilike to see them.Nothings got past it in the last few months and totally happy with it.
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodo-firewall-8-2-0-4508-setup-and-test-part-2.46159/

18. SA Jack

SA Jack Registered Member

Has anyone exported cruelsisters configuration within Comodo and made it available for others to import and evaluate on their own PC's?

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess the video is straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) and takes about 5 mins to implement ...with a little pausing of the vid.:geek:

20. Rasheed187

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of HIPS, and Comodo is quite comprehensive, but I don't want to make things too complex, that's why I prefer SpyShelter. Overall, Comodo is perhaps a bit more advanced, but SS also gets the job done.

21. guest

guest Guest

With ReHIPS im totally satisfied for the moment , just have to fix some minor bugs and implement some usability features and it will be a superior HIPS.

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

REHIPS is starting to look interesting to me. I'm putting all my time into Bouncer, AppGuard (when development is going on), and Eset Smart Security right now though. I don't have the time, or setup to test REHIPS right now. HIPS is my favorite mitigation method.

23. guest

guest Guest

Indeed , i love the idea of ReHIPS using both HIPS & Sandboxing (the 2 methods i prefer) via only Windows own mechanisms.

24. Solarlynx

Please excuse me for being OT.
    I know from their site differences b/w free and paid. Anyway I ask is HIPS of SpyShelter free of good strength to use SS free for its HIPS?

25. Rasheed187

You can take a look at the comparison, it seems like some features of the HIPS have been disabled, so it's up to you to decide if it's good enough for you.

https://www.spyshelter.com/download-spyshelter/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.