LNS & LINKSYS WRT54G

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dja2k, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I was just reading around and I saw that www.portfoward.com recommends to turn off the firewall option in the linksys router for p2p programs especially bittorrent clients. It was mainly to turn off block anonymous requests.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/Utorrent.htm

I see that a lot of people rely on a software firewall plus the one built into the router, but if this is true. Then LNS still using the port fowarding rules would still be as safe as using the hardware firewall as an added measure right?

dja2k

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are calling "the port fowarding rules".

Anyway, in your case, if both firewalls can be still enabled without any problem, then yes, I suppose it is better to let the configuration like that, rather than trying to deactivate something somewhere.

Frederic

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

In other words, would just using LNS and not the built in firewall in the router be safe enough? Furthermore, are you safer behind a router or not giving that you always run LNS?

dja2k

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, dja2k

I am very new to LnS [day five], but the way I see it is if for any reason LnS [or any other software firewall] fails for what ever reason, the router firewall is alway there [unless turned off :eek: ] by way of the very first line of defence.

That is my view and am sure if wrong someone with more knowledge [of which will not be hard to find here] will say so.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There is no way I would give up my hardware firewall in my router for any software program.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and I thought the same thing. Anyways I have to be behind the router for my wireless network, so its not problem having its firewall on as the first defense backed by Look'N'Stop of course.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.