LnS and KAV Personal 5 Updater

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I'm evaluating KAV Personal 5 and have a slight problem when trying to update the definitions using the in-built Updater.

It seems to take longer than it should, with the LnS log telling me that incoming TCP connections are being blocked. Below is one of the actual log lines (they are all the same)

TCP: Block incoming connections TCP downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com Ports Dest: 1210 Src:ftp-data

NOTE: The Destination port is not always the same (ie. not always 1210). I have the TCP FTP: Authorize FTP (Authorize FTP (port 20)) rule installed at the top of the Rule Set.

The funny thing is that, if I leave it for long enough it will eventually update or timeout after 5 mins. I think this rule iks slowing it down though.

Can someone explain to me what's going on ?

Is it correct that Kaspersky labs FTP site wants to make a connection ?

What's the best way to get it to work correctly (ie. the most secure way) ?

Please can you tell me the exact settings I need and why ?

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

can you connect to any FTP site at the first place ?
    It would help to know if the problem is FTP or something else.

regards,

gkweb.

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You're blocking the various Kaspersky FTP servers from setting up an FTP data connection. The solution is to create a rule that allows them.

The servers you need to add can be found by going into the KAV log, and double clicking the appropriate entry. Go to the Settings tab, and you should see a "List of update servers" item listed. Probably not all of their FTP servers will be listed, but the ones you are configured to use will be there.

The reason the KAV updater works sometimes, but not always, is that it has the capability to use HTTP in addition to FTP (as you can see in the "List of update servers" item mentioned above). You (and all of us) are better off by setting up your firewall to allow the use of the FTP servers, not just the HTTP servers.

4. claire

claire Guest

5. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks to nameless for the solution to my troubles and to claire for the link.

I thought it might have something to do with the updater using active FTP instead of passive FTP. Oh well, hopefully Kaspersky might get round to using a Passive connection. In the meantime I'll use the solution given by nameless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.