List of the Most reliable online storage services? (100% Data Integrity)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by letgetcc, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letgetcc

letgetcc Registered Member

I am looking for a list of the most reliable online storage services. Particularly companies that will have your data copied over multiple hard drives (and constantly repaired when needed) so that your data is virtually 100% protected and won't corrupt over 5+++ years. A written promise or guarantee of your data safety would also very good. Their servers must also be very secure and protected from hackers.

Anyone know of any services?
    Does Safesync or GoDaddy online storage fit this criteria?

Thank you

2. claykin

claykin Registered Member

Have you read either services TOS?

With Godaddy max file size is 2GB. :thumbd:

3. Isso

Isso Developer

Amazon S3 is one of the most reliable

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Isso, would you have a recommendation on how to use S3 as a home user? I think they concentrate on the developers and don't actively offer their in-house program to upload / backup any files. On the other hand, they offer the backbone to many consumer products like Jungle Disk. Is there any that you can recommend and perhaps why?

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

An online storage provider could keep full copies of your data on 1000 separate devices, but if all of those devices are in the same facility there is some risk of them being wiped out by an event. So one of the things you'd probably want to look for is convincing evidence that there will be full copies of your data in multiple facilities/locations. I believe some providers use the term geo-redundant storage for this level of service.

You should always have at least one, and preferably several, copies of your important data "in your own hands". Assuming you don't live right on top of your online storage provider, this would help accomplish the goal of keeping copies of your data in multiple facilities/locations. If your storage solution is dissimilar to and isolated from your online storage provider's mechanisms, this would also help prevent total loss due to a particular vulnerability/exploit affecting one type of system.

You should be extremely leery of any guarantees of 100% this or zero that. Look for limitations and loopholes in all representations especially written contracts and liability sections thereof. You will find them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would love to know why you say that?

8. Peter2150

Hi Beethoven

I use Jungledisk, and am very pleased with it. They do offer two choices Amazon S3 and also Rackspace. Jungledisk is a subsidiary of Rackspace. After considering the options, and costs, I went with Rackspace.

I know of several large organizations the use Rackspace, and I've talked with them. They have data centers up and down the center of the country. They do keep data stored at more than one center. Also they do have some interesting security in place, like for example no data center employee can work on anything but the assigned computers on site. No remotes from home. I have never experienced any down time.

The biggest security risk with them is actually your computer and they offer 3 levels of protection on the software on your computer.

Pete

9. claykin

claykin Registered Member

I agree with you. Jungledisk is great and my experience over 5+ years has been positive. Fast uploads, fast restores, pre-encryption, efficient desktop client/service, doesn't crash.....It just works as advertised.

10. Isso

Isso Developer

beethoven, I just use the S3 web console from Amazon, because I only backup a handful of files. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of clients for S3 making the backup more convenient, but I haven't used any, sorry.

Isso

11. beethoven

thanks guys, I think I will have a look at jungle disk. I find managing the S3 backbone with Amazon too difficult or inconvenient, so some form of front-end program is a must for someone as old as me. Peter and Claykin, since you are using jungle disk, may I ask if you "just" use their encryption service ? I understand that with Jungle Disk you can use their encryption before uploading and supposedly neither them or anyone else have any way of access to the files without your key. However as this all happens inside Jungle Disk, do you feel it's necessary to use an external encryption beforehand or instead?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. Peter2150

There is no external encryption needed. When you sign up you are asked to provide a password. This is for the login and for accessing the websites. It then asks if you went to set a separate encryption key. They warn you in the sternest way that this key if lost your data is lost. They cannot recover the key.

Also note there are two ways to set up backups. The legacy is done on file by file basis, and you can log in and see your files on the website. They recomment there vault approach. Faster uploads, smaller size, etc. But you can't view your file structure on the website, only in the GUI. I use the vault.

You can also setup a file sharing online "disk" Files upload to this "disk" are not encrypted, and you can send download links to someone to share a file.

You can also set up more then one online vault to back up multiple computers separately.

Pete

13. beethoven

Thanks Peter - very helpful as always:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.