Linux Software that You Use to Replace Windows Software

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

Best in doing what? I don't use it anymore and I don't recall it being more powerful than Kmail or Thunderbird. But I only write mails and use the calendar occasionally in Kmail & Thunderbird.
    Encryption is easier and free to use.

Otherwise:

PDF: Okular, Mupdf, PDFTK (toolkit, perfect for creating documents)
    Texteditor: Kate, nano
    Office: Libre Office 5, Calligra stage
    Photo: Gimp, Krita, Mypaint
    Audio: Deadbeef, Audacious

and other programmes I can't think of right now.

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

... and because it's cleverly designed, in the sense that everything basic is there. Take the example I gave of the calculator, why oh why would you have to search for something so basic as the M buttons.

3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

What is Outlook able to do which Thunderbird can't?

4. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

In a working/office environment... A lot.
    Syncing with share point, syncing calneders/events of 60.000+ ppl to easily create events/meetings. Integration of lync. Syncing all your settings and mails on individual pc's within seconds (and I mean a whole outlook profile + mails + everything within seconds). Pff there is so much more.

For private/home usage I still love Thunderbird.

5. summerheat

Okay, I see. I was only thinking of a private/home usage. BTW, adressbooks and events can also be synced with Thunderbird by using the SOGo Connector and Integrator extensions.

6. Infected

Infected Registered Member

What does it matter? I just prefer Outlook above other email options.

7. Balthazar

What a nice addition to the topic! Thank you so much!

8. Infected

Infected Registered Member

You're welcome. Open topic isn't it? My bad, maybe that sounded harsh.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

There are dozens of calculators in GNU/Linux. You choose what you want. That's the difference between being a blind consumer and being an informed user. Anyway, I don't think M buttons are a basic functionality of a basic calculator. My default calculator does have M buttons though.

10. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

For me, Kmail is as powerful as any other, if not more powerful. There are literally thousands of options to configure and it integrates very well with the KDE desktop. One can configure Bayesian Spam filters like bogofilter, SpamAssassin etc. very easily with kmail, point and click. I won't use other mail clients even if someone offers me money for using.

11. summerheat

I had used Kmail in the past - until it became too buggy so I went back to Thunderbird which never failed me. Last year or so I tried Kmail again but it still had several bugs. Thus, I will stick to Thunderbird and hope that the transition to the maildir format which I'm planning will be smooth.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Outlook has been the defacto standard in the corporate and business world for decades. It's hands down superior to any and all others... Not much more I can say. Compared to Outlook, things like KMail and TBird are pure junk.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mostly Outlook does things right. Try quote some long messages sometime with pics embedded in them. You'll find that TBird falls flat on it's face most of the time when things get to any degree of complexity... Come on folks... Outlook is a long time standard and professional product. The others are trash....

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

15. fblais

fblais Registered Member

What about Evolution as a replacement for Outlook?

16. Balthazar

Several people claimed Outlook to be the best email client or to be irreplaceable. I am interested in what alternatives these people have tried out and where they think Outlook was better. That's all. I am not judging.

In the end it's always down to you what you decide. Of course, this way it doesn't matter what others say or think. But it would make every conversation obsolete, wouldn't it?

@Kerodo
    I've never experienced any of the problems you're describing and I get several newsletters with lots of "complex" stuff. I am using Kmail and Thunderbird (Icedove) every day.

@UnknownK
    Kmail has really grown on me. You are right about the tons of options. I think I was put off by all the options at first but now I like Kmail very much.

@fblais
    I never tried it.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's been years since I used Evolution, but I thought it was fairly decent. It did seem a bit more buggy than Outlook at the time. Could be better now, I have no idea...

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not really much interested in debating the merits of various email clients. I've used them all, and I've used Outlook in both personal and corporate settings for about 20 years now. Used KMail and TBird (Icedove in Debian) too. Evolution as well, and Claws and a few others too. My preference and first choice has always been Outlook. Everyone has their favorites for a variety of reasons. Anyway, that's my choice, I think it's the best hands down. I'm not into slicing and dicing the details all day just to defend my position. Take a poll, and see what the majority thinks.... :)

19. Balthazar

Your strong statement in favor of Outlook and calling other clients trash kind of provokes questions. But you don't have to defend your position, it's perfectly fine by me. It's just a mail client.

I think the topic is nice to get to know new software I might not have heard about. Personally, I am trying to mostly use free software. There is great stuff out there.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I guess my choice of certain words could be toned down a bit... Good point. I'll just say that some of the others are "less than desirable" when compared to Outlook. But again, it depends on one's use of the program(s) also. There are things that you can do in Outlook that can be handy in a business environment, for example, the ability to recall a sent message before it gets opened/read by the recipient... many other features as well.

The difference really is that one (Outlook) is a paid professional product with many excellent features, and most of the other are open source or free products. Which one do you think had the most work put into it, and which one would you suppose should be superior? The answer is pretty easy really.... I don't ordinarily stick to the "you get what you pay for" line of reasoning, but in this case, I think it holds true.

21. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Well, to stay on topic I've tried qpdfview (courtesy of @Wroll who posted about) and I liked it. It'll mean one less Windows app in Wine. One particular option it has and is important to me: you can choose the background colour (not behind the text, on the sides of the text body).

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

People use PDF readers? Chrome can open PDF files and does it within the sandbox too.

Agreed. The last time I personally used Outlook was the early 00's so I can't comment, but I've used used Thunderbird since, even on Linux, and haven't felt I missed anything. I'm surprised Outlook is even still a thing to be honest.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think it's still a "thing" pretty strong in the corporate world. Home users may have gone to web based or other things by now though, who knows...

24. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

yes... sorry to bring it to you without anaesthetics.

25. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

:argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.