Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ronjor, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I must have missed this one. Doom3 was pretty graphic. [in more ways than one.] Hum... I think I should retract my statement now.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I agree 100% with this and its nice to see Linux users who have a grip on reality. So many Linux users try to paint a bed of roses and hide the thorns at the same time.

I use SuSE 9.3

3. squash

squash Registered Member

I mean, I have .isos of DVDs, that I wish to mount in a virtual drive. Like DAEMON Tools. Linux does not let me do that.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Because video cards need drivers and Nvidia/ATI do not develop their Linux drivers to anywhere near the same extent as Windows (ATI's support in particular is especially pathetic - basic 2D support for their X1K series was only made available with their most recent update, 3D support is still pending). Nvidia's drivers do, in contrast, go as far as providing SLI support under Linux.

Open source drivers would be the best solution where the community could release improvements, but this requires hardware information which neither company has been prepared to release. Without this, development is a far slower process.

Ultimately, anyone wishing to see better Linux support needs to contact the manufacturer concerned to make them aware of the increasing importance that this has - in ATI's case there is also an online petition.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Signed and forwarded.

It makes a lot more sense now why things seem better, Yet look worse. Thanks for the heads up paranoid.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

he's an interview with Richard Stallman he started the Free Software Foundation. there's also Open Source which is not the same. put simply, the Free Software Foundation is more about politics - freedom (when he says free he's not talking about money!), and Open Source is about quality software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.