Linux Mint and Ubuntu,Fedora

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using Linux Mint without any problems.It has been 4 days since installation.It is the only operating system on my PC.Although Ubuntu and Mint have the same roots the way they work is different on my PC.
    After the default installation of Ubuntu one of the cpu's was going over 15 even when there was nothing working.No firefox etc.I did not enable any compiz.But it is not like that in Mint.
    The automatic updates did not work on Ubuntu but the update function works on Mint.I love the small shield which shows if you have updates or not.The core and CPU temperature works fine but if I use the hard disk temperature controller the update icon in Mint does not work.So I am not using the HD temp.
    I installed the sun java because the open java jdk did not work on a site where I chat with my friends.I had to run sudo update-java-alternatives -s XXXX to set the XXX java version as default.The only programs I installed are sun java,skype,keepassx and the palimpset tool (its name is gnome utilities under mint).Mint is a complete system for me.I love the extras such as ''desktop settings,backup tools, startup manager'' .No need for any other software.I use thunderbird and I love the way it comes by default.

I did not have any boot problems with Fedora.But as I said before I have to do a lot of reading to use it.There is a folder in Ubuntu ,Mint and Pardus which is called usr/share/sane/gt68xx and I download and put the driver in that folder to make the scanner work.But it did not exist in Fedora so there should be another way to make it work.One of my printers worked but the other (Samsung CLP 315 ) was recognized as CLP350 and I was not able to select the right driver manually because it was not there.

So for the Linux newbies I recommend Linux Mint.It is easier to use and the hardware detection is excellent.And my favorite color is green.What more?_

PS: I had once a problem with Mint just after installation.Some of the updates did not work and I had to fix the broken packages and after making aptitude clean everything was normal.Because of the broken packages I had a boot problem :doubt: (It was what I thought)
    It checked the file system and corrected the errors.;) No any other file check afterwards.
    I hope I can go on like this for3 years and later install Linux Mint 10.:D :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Good to see you have Mint working for you. I've never had a single issue with Mint and I have used it for some time. In fact, because it was so stable I became bored and installed Fedora 13. I now love Fedora 13 as much as I loved Mint. But, I love all my distros.

If I may give a word of caution about automatic updates. I used automatic updates only one time, on Ubuntu Server, and it deleted some files and broke my system. So, needless to say, I don't use automatic updates anymore, but if it works for you that's the main thing.

If you ever try Fedora again, try enabling the Fusion repositories to broaden your software choices. I think Fedora 13 is a winner!

Jim

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Won't have to wait for years, Linux Mint 10 will arrive shortly after Ubuntu 10.10 - probably in 4-5 months.

Viva la Mint! Though, yes, everything works, and things become somewhat boring after a while...

@JConLine, mintUpdate usually sorts out stuff like that by rejecting risky updates. Haven't had any bad updates so far myself.

4. JConLine

I'm sure I'll try Mint 10. I think I have a sickness, I enjoy the challenge to make everything work, but after its smoothly working then I'm looking around for something new. You know what I mean.

Jim

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's called boredom..... :)

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Ha ha ha luckily my vices in Linux world is limited to Ubuntu, Fedora and sidux.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL Eice
    U keep whinging about that :D
    Let me loose on your rig: I'll fix it for you.
    Aint seen a box yet I couldn't fix !! Heh Heh.

@JConLine
    :)
    Go and set-up a free bsd system with office and multimedia and printing tools.
    Or for extra fun start Gentoo from scratch: that'll get your juices flowing.
    :D

8. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

One of the things that I use all the time is AptOnCD and Mint has it installed by default (I was impressed by that). With it you can save every update or application that's ever been installed on your system which you can then use should you ever wish to re-install or setup Mint for someone else. It's very, very handy and it saves a lot of time. I suggest you use it. There's a way to save updates and application installs in Fedora but it's nothing near as easy as AptOnCD.

Mint is a good distro but the default color (green....:gack: ) makes me want to hurl. ;).

Later...

9. JConLine

Longboard,

Which do you think would be more of a challenge, BSD or Gentoo? I've heard the Gentoo can make you crazy.

Jim

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, first time I've seen someone want to hurl over a color. And green, at that. You must have a hard time watching the World Cup...

Either way - change the theme? "sudo apt-get install light-themes" to get the Ubuntu Lucid default ones, for instance.

11. linuxforall

Gentoo, took four days and five volunteer students to compile it all at the univ :)

12. JConLine

OK, I'll give it a try. Where's the Prozac?

Jim

13. linuxforall

Stock up on Red Bull and good Java beans.

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

AptOnCD saved me mucho MB's when I installed Lucid on my wife's notebook, also when the MB rich OpenOffice was recently updated, I installed it first on my Desktop, created the AptOnCD and restored OpenOffice on her notebook. Great stuff - just don't do a sudo apt-get clean. :)

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D
    Alrighty then..
    Hard to say, both can make you crazy..:gack:
    If you're not hustling us :shifty: ..:D
    Then : both have outstanding documentation and well established 'pathways'
    Gentoo is Linux and as such ..??
    FreeBSD is imho well and away one of the touchstones for ubergeek value

After a bold rush of confidence..I confess that I gave up on both: Gentoo just took too long and BSD could not give me what I wanted: BSD was more 'fun' and seemed to have more of a point, Gentoo was just hard yakka for no real pond scum enduser value.
    The experience was useful: like putting your d*%k in the disposal: you -might- do it again but not without a really really good reason :blink:

Head down, bum up,...good luck and let us know.

16. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

How DID you know that watching soccer, especially the World Cup, was my favorite past-time? Astonishing. ;).

Notice the wink (;) ), Eice? There was one after the hurl comment, as well. Besides, why should I use Mint when I have Ubuntu? And green is not one of my favorite colors.

Like I said, Mint is a good distro...top notch...many folks use it.

Gee, you Mint users are such a sensitive lot. ;). Notice the wink, Eice? :) .

Later...

17. linuxforall

What amazes me is statements like MINT being universal Panacea to all Ubuntu ills when to the very core its Ubuntu and nothing else, actually on the Ubuntu forum its rapidly replacing Arch as the favorite try line for those facing issues.

18. cet

cet Registered Member

Linuxforall I have just read your post on the Ubuntu forum beginning with:
    I agree with you they have the same core, but it is not a plasebo effect.I had serious boot problems with Ubuntu but I am using Mint happily.Maybe some updates broke Ubuntu and the same updates will have the same effect on Mint later.Who knows.I am just crossing my fingers thats all.

19. linuxforall

Glad you are happy with MINT but the issues you had with Ubuntu were not related to the distro, in that case MINT would give you same grief, it uses same files, kernels etc. Thats the only logical reasoning for this, OTOH, had you used a totally different distro like SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora, it would look more plausible. If you had boot troubles with Ubuntu, it would repeat in MINT no matter what.MINT developers don't touch the Ubuntu core, kernel or other system files.

20. cet

cet Registered Member

Mint kernel is 2.6.32.21 Ubuntu had upgraded to 2.6.32.22. Maybe that was the problem.
    I am thinking to find a reasonable solution for the problem which I had and do not want it to happen again.I do not want to make the same mistakes again.

21. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Come on Longboard, that's not fair. Do you want him to be tortured or something. :D ;)

Thanks.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Did you try installing Ubuntu again fresh, wiping everything on disk, including all your partitions? Perhaps you borked your install somehow doing something or other, tweaking things, installing something, whatnot. Until you do that, you won't really know.

23. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

It's combination of Placebo and Luck, the Linux Mint forum has a thread about the boot problem with links to the Ubuntu boot problem. ;)

24. cet

cet Registered Member

FastGame
    Can you please send me the link.I would like to read it.Maybe it can help.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Please post here in the thread. I'd like to see this too....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.