Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The best Linux distro comes to town. :thumb:

Thanks for the notice, downloading now.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, I had installed it already yesterday since I saw that it was available in the stable section of the download mirrors.

Mint 9 is indeed very nice. I'm only puzzled about one thing: I added

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid non-free

to my repos in order to get the latest version of Virtualbox (the official Mint repos only contain version 3.1.6). The new repo shows up in Synaptic under Settings and in sources.list - but not in the main window of Synaptic. So I'm unable the see the packages from that repo and update to the newest VB version.

I'm a Mint newbie and this may be a Mint peculiarity. Can somebody explain what's going on here?

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I assume you've tried running sudo update-apt-xapian-index?

5. mack_guy911

specially its dvd yu got vlc java openoffice i mean its best for net surfing out of box experience

6. tlu

tlu Guest

No - quite frankly I had never heard about that :oops: But anyway, it didn't help. Even with "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.1" I only got the message that virtualbox-3.1 is already the newest version.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I installed the Vbox repos myself, and oddly enough, the virtualbox-3.1 package seems to be pointed towards the karmic distribution, instead of lucid.

Did this issue happen in Ubuntu as well?

Attached Files:

8. tlu

tlu Guest

I've no idea since I was using openSUSE for the last few months. Eice, your image shows version 3.1.6, too, which is not the newest one. I assume that it refers to the version in the isadora/non-free/misc repo - that's what Synaptic also shows on my system. Are you sure that the Virtualbox repo was really added? In this case it should show 3.1.8 - see here.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Yes, I'm sure. That's why I asked if this problem showed up in Ubuntu as well, which would give a clue as to whether the problem is with Mint or the Vbox repos.

10. tlu

tlu Guest

Sorry for being stubborn: Do you really see it in the main window of Synaptic with the appropriate view?

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

See what in the main window?

I've discovered something that might work: select the virtualbox-3.1 package in Synaptic, click "Package" -> "Force Version", and that lets you install 3.1.8 from the Vbox repo.

Personally, I suspect something wrong with the Vbox repo instead of Mint/Synaptic, since Pidgin and Transmission are updating to newer versions from PPAs with no problems.

12. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

From the pond:
    Just an observation/discussion point:
    Dont get me wrong, I like Mint; but: is there "too much" gui now inherent in some distros, Mint as an eg ??
    Is the push for userfriendlyness getting almost too much ??

What say you?

I know I can use minimal distros, skeleton set-ups and terminals as I am able, I am just a bit underwhelmed by the OTT nature of some installs lately, ( the wealth of apps is appreciated ) almost too much "stuff", sort of stocking fillers.

I suppose it helps push the Linux image.
    Still think some (more) distros should adopt a 'selective install" option ( cf CentOS ), while maintaing a GUI based approach...
    ...just blathering to meself.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

No such thing if you ask me. Bring on the sugar. :D

15. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I think Mint offers the best out-of-the-box user experience.

Well done Mint team - you have done it again :thumb:

16. tlu

tlu Guest

I mean the different views in the left bottom corner of Synaptic (Sections, Status,..). If you select "Source" (or whatever it's called in the English version) you see all repos, and the Virtualbox repo should be one of the. Funny: Yesterday it didn't appear, today it does on my system. So I added the Songbird ppa - the same effect again: it doesn't show up.

I can't check that since I installed v. 3.1.8 manually yesterday. Strange: As mentioned, the VB repo shows up today but it was empty and I got an error message from Synaptic after updating the sources ("A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used.GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org lucid Release ...NO_PUBKEY 54422A4B98AB5139). So I closed Synaptic and executed sudo update-apt-xapian-index. I got "The index /var/lib/apt-xapian-index is up to date" but when I started Synaptic again the VB repo now showed 3.1.8. The ppa is still invisible.

Well, not here. :mad:

UPDATE: I Just saw on the Virtualbox download site that their key has changed. This explains some of my problems. It doesn't explain why the ppa doesn't show up, though ..

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
  17. tlu

tlu Guest

18. mack_guy911

19. mack_guy911

very nice review i tried mint today

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s16-gijBQOA-

i feel its something between suse and ubuntu

very easy good eye candy default theme wallpaper are awesome and how lovely its update icon and cli mode funny quiets :thumb:

they just miss few feature cloud computing and Mozilla's Prism of papermintos also yast or atleast gui for apparmor i say it become best distro till date :D

one more thing i like to add what i miss in previous versions its update slow but now its improved very well very fast updates also its some how feels light on resources and fast as compare to ubuntu

one word for mint awesome

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.