Linux Kernel 3.6 Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Perhaps most pertinent to users of this forum is the security features added. The main thing being that hardlinks and symlinks to SUID binaries can no longer be made from directories with the sticky bit (such as /tmp) unless the binary being linked to is owned by the user. This idea has been floated around the kernel mailing list since 1996, but has just now been implemented.

Article explaining the changes here (complete with Brad Spengler trolling in the comments section. Lulz, I love Brad).

3. Hungry Man

The internet is littered with posts that have Brad commenting on them. He's even commented on my blog before. It's always entertaining.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yeah. He is tolerated on LKML because he is a troll that actually knows what he's talking about. I have corresponded with him a few times in e-mail and on various forums. He is always helpful and doesn't mind talking to people not as knowledgeable (as opposed to some kernel developing snobs). :D

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I doubt this made 12.10?

6. Hungry Man

12.10 should use 3.5.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, it seems so. However, for 12.04 the new kernel should be available at some time. Ubuntu 10.04 was also an LTS version, and you could install newer kernels via metapackages, namely

linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-natty
    linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty

or

linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-oneiric
    linux-image-generic-lts-backport-oneiric

8. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I installed the 3.6 kernel on my Ubuntu 12.04 and it does seem to make it much faster switching between apps.

9. tlu

tlu Guest

I guess you installed it from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

BTW: Backports for 12.04 of the kernel ("only" 3.5, though), the X.org server and other components are available from this ppa.

10. Will this be available as a UBUNTU 12.04 update?

11. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

If you install via ppa, bear in mind all the tweaks and patches done by team Ubuntu are missing and there might arise stability and compatibility issues. Canonical patches pertinent stuff from the newer kernel on basis of need but for LTS, they take a conservative route. However its still newer than the RH or CentOS kernels. If you want latest and best install Arch, Sabayon or Chakra.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

This applies to the mainline kernels, indeed, but not for a kernel installed from the backports ppa or from the xorg-edgers ppa.

13. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Correct but then the stability guarantee from canonical only holds for the original kernel that comes with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.