Linux Desktop AV and Linux rootkit

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Lodewig, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodewig

Lodewig Registered Member

Maybe a stupid question but I'd like to have a confirmation before change from Trial to buy some licenses.
    I read documentain about linux and there are data about malware / virus / spyware.
    The most dangerous in linux are rootkit. I cannot find any clear statement
    "Eset 4 for linux desktop is able to identify and protect against linux rootkit"
    Ok rootkit are malware but there is a sure sentence somewhere Native Linux rootkit are detected by Eset Linux Deskotp AV ?

2. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Usually AV vendors block exploits even before the OS get the update patch for the vulnerability.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Linux is not vunerable to MS Windows exploits. Almost all Linux distros are out of the box locked down & can't be harmed. Sorry but an AV for Linux is a waste of resources.

Said better by smarter folks.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309360

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. x942

x942 Guest

I agree. To write malware for linux would be insanely dificult. You have compile for ever distro and every posible setup. For example let's say you wrote a virus for Ubuntu 11.04 and I ran Ubuntu 11.04 but I used a more up to date libc or other library, your malware would fail instantly. The problem with Linux is that malware (if not compiled on that machine) will probably fail or be crippled. Not to mention almost all exploits against linux are Local access only (LAN, at the computer, RDP, SSH).

I do run Eset Nod32 on my Fedora box but that is to prevent files from being transfered onto other (windows) computers.

7. Lodewig

Lodewig Registered Member

"ThreatSense technology also successfully prevents rootkits."

This is what I found out in manual guide , so answer seems to be yes.

About what you said I can see a potentila danger : be too much sure that rootkit can't enter in a linux box. Too much sure = No attention for = potentila weakness.

8. x942

x942 Guest

Ah I agree, I only download via repos and only after fact checking :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.