Linux as backup machine, security concerns

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Jason_C, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_C

Jason_C Registered Member

Hi, i hope i'm posting this in the appropriate subforum.

First off i'll admit i'm not very familiar with how these things work, otherwise i wouldn't be asking this (probably stupid) question.

I have Linux Mint running on a laptop. I'm thinking about using the laptop as a backup solution for all the other machines in my LAN using rsync and/or FTP, and i'm concerned about the security of my data.

The laptop is online 24/7, connected through a VPN (OpenVPN client). The laptop also has a SSH server for rsync, and vsftpd for FTP. It has ufw installed with strict rules to allow traffic only to/from the VPN server, and the specific IP addresses of the other computers in my LAN. I also have a hardware router with no ports open in its firewall, since it isn't necessary for these services to function. The computers in question are all cable-connected, although wireless is enabled for one tablet device. Encrypted, of course.

Does this setup open any realistic threats for my data from outside access? I don't know why, but that constant connection to my VPN provider makes me feel like there's a door open somewhere, somehow, for anyone to walk through. I suppose there basically is, but can this be used to infiltrate the laptop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.