Linksys WRT54GL worth it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by light50, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. light50

light50 Registered Member

Hi,

last week i bought the wrt54g v5.1 after some friends who have experience in networking told me to go linksys, but it is keeping disconnecting me from the internet. Since it is still under warranty i will be able to get a product replacement and was wondering if the wrt54gl is worth it considering it linux based os and 16mb ram? i just want to know what do you guys think about this series of routers.. was the v5-6 series just a one time thing?

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

um... is it still the original firmware? The L series, as far as I know, was touted because of their ability to get the firmware replaced with a better thirdparty firmware.

However, constant disconnecting should not be happening, even with the original firmware. I'm not too familiar with the series, so I won't even try to diagnose the problem because that would probably do more harm than good.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Last time I had my AP keep disconnecting like that I just had to change the channel it was using...

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I bought a WRT54G (I think it was v7, latest release). It kept disconnecting. Changed it for a WRT54GL, upgraded to a third party firmware and now everything runs very stable.

Moral of the story: if you have the opportunity to replace to a WRT54GL, I would advise you to do so as quickly as possible! :D

5. light50

changing channels is for wireless.. i'm being disconnected from my internet, changed packet sizes and kept original firmware (latest), i know the v5 is problematic.. i just found out too late. So i guess my best bet right now is changing to the wrt54gl since it can easily support 3rd party firmware, was thinking of dd-wrt

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  6. gavel

gavel Registered Member

7. light50

guess i'll go for the wrt54gl version then... thanks for your help :)

8. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Might want to go for the Buffalo WHR-G54S if you can't replace it for free:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

Same exact chipset as the WRT54GL except cheaper, and more compatible with third party firmware. It seems to be the model of choice for a lot of people using DD-WRT now. You can also try to flash your WRT54Gv5 with DD-WRT since they also figured out how (might want to read about whether you can flash back).

http://www.dd-wrt.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.