limit bandwith ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SnowFlakes, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Hi.

Is there any EASY software out there where i can limit my bandwith in diffrient IP's ?
    I want to limit 1Mbit/s to other iPhone/Android phones while the rest 9MBit/s will go to my PC's ip-address.

I hope there is anyone out there that can help me.

"thanks"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

3. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

fax
    well i don't use that kind of router, i have another one.
    But my question is if there is any easy software that i can limit bandwith to other's at my home except not to me ?

anyone else ?

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Assuming that it's a wireless (and wired) router (you didn't say) and that the phones connect only through the router and not through the PC then you'd need a router like the gargoyle.

Think about it for a minute, there's nothing that can run on the PC that can filter/control other devices connecting directly to the router.

Did a bit more checking and found that Gargoyle is software/firmware that installs to some compatible routers so check their site and see if your router is supported. Or you can buy a router from them with Gargoyle installed. Their site isn't all that clear.

SoftPerfect has Bandwidth Manager software that runs on a PC, but that PC would have to sit between all devices and the internet so you'd need more hardware...

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Why can't SnowFlakes use software on the PC to limit how much bandwidth the PC uses? Unused bandwidth is preserved for the other devices.

7. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Well he could limit the PC, but, when the other devices are connecting directly to the router and the router firmware doesn't have any bandwidth limiting firmware (like Gargoyle) then the other devices will use whatever they need and that could be almost 100%. Then he'd be stuck with a PC that was limited even when there weren't any other devices using the bandwidth.

SoftPerfect has an answer, but all devices, PC & phone, would have to be routed through a second PC that acts as the 'limiter'. That's probably not what he wants.

The Gargoyle site has a 'Shop' but there aren't any routers listed. There's a compatibility page that lists routers into which the Gargoyle firmware can be installed and a note which says that you can try the firmware on any router but it might be 'bricked', use at your own risk.

The cheapest solution would be to buy a compatible router, install the Gargoyle firmware and hope for the best (the worst would be the $ to buy the router).

Edit:
    I googled for "gargoyle router", found a link to Amazon and there are routers listed which have the Gargoyle-like features installed, for example

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N300 Router for $44.99

see the comments where a customer states that:
    but the Gargoyle site says this is a compatible router and there are two files supplied by them to update the firmware:
    I suggest that the OP now has enough info to do his own followup...

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I don't know if it would work in your situation, since you want to primarily restrict bandwidth on the mobile devices, but you might want to look at something like Networx, from SoftPerfect (freeware). We never bothered setting up a proper LAN here, just use a wireless router-modem to which my computer's connected by Ethernet cable and my wife's and son's via wireless adaptors. And we've got Networx installed in each.

I use it simply to keep track of my broadband usage for the day, week, and month, but it can also be set to warn or even terminate the connection at a predetermined target bandwidth (or selected portion of it). And if you actually set up a proper LAN, you can optionally have it monitor total router traffic rather than just your own device.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Best way is to get this;
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/

Not only is it a remarkable router in every way, but you can QOS bandwidth based on massive amounts of configurable options (easily done). You can configure bandwidth limits for each MAC, or IP address, and granular control what each one can or cannot do.

It's well worth it, trust me.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

I am afraid the OP is asking much more than QOS. With QOS in Asus (and other routers) you can only give generic priorities (low, medium, high... etc) not specific limits in MB/Giga.... so watch out not buying something that cannot be used for the purpose. I think JW Clements clearly pointing out strengths, weaknesses and boundary conditions. Just follow that... :)

You can only do what you suggest using a router unless all devices need to access to your PC for internet access. This is normally not the case in a standard setup.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

ASUS has a traffic manager, as well as QOS with granular control. So you can set bandwidth restrictions, then apply those restrictions to specific MAC addresses connected. (not just IP, so the MAC is permanently controlled) So for example if he wants to limit all of his Ipods to 1Mbps, he merely sets 'low' to be 1Mbps, then applies the low rule to all connected Ipod MAC addresses from that point forward. I believe this solves his issue.

However he could also use traffic shaping software to control bandwidth, but it's not as efficient, or reliable as a hardware method;

http://www.cfos.de/en/cfosspeed/cfosspeed.htm

The problem with doing it through software is unless that software is installed on his router, how is he going to meter the speed on non-windows devices? I don't think that is even possible, that is to control speed of a non-windows product, via a windows installed software? I believe he has little choice other than to do this through his router, either with an ASUS, or a Linux box setup as a Firewall.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

13. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I generally deploy the Black Knight on home and SOHO networks. It's not expensive, but has enterprise level PI and ID, along with traffic manager and QOS. As noted, you can specifically setup machines with limited bandwidth on it with a few clicks. Black Knight has some nice horsepower, and 256MB-512MB of ram depending on model, and the ability to deploy a cloud network in the home via USB sticks plugged into the router. (handy) The ease of configuration is really important. I need to find the web-emulation of the configuration tool.. I lost the link but it allowed you to deploy a 'simulated' Black Knight into a network, and tweak it in realtime. Be damned if I can find the link today!

One thing I hate - people run out to Best Buy, get the cheapest Linksys, and have nothing but issues.. Constant restarting needed, limited functionality, low processor/memory in them to handle proper packet inspection from multiple devices - all a waste of money.. If people just spent a little more coin on a nice router, half the issues would disappear. Homes these days can have 10, 20, even 30 devices connected, so the router needs to be good. Gone are the days when a $34.99 consumer router was adequate. (QOS, Traffic Managers aside)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.