Liking NOD32, but issue with IMON

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BDSM, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

Bfeore reinstalling WinXP I decided to try a different AV than NAV; after some reading I decided to give NOD32 a shot (I love that it's a full featured trial). With everything up and running again NOD32 is outstanding, but I have one gripe. With IMON activated, whenever a large compressed file has finished downloading in Firefox (or Opera) the browser becomes inoperable until IMON finishes checking the file. An example would be Eclipse SDK 3.2.1 for Windows: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Is there any way to remedy this concern? I don't simply want to allow a single website to bypass IMON; I'd rather have IMON functioning without the browser disruption. As I mentioned, this is not present with IMON turned off. Also of interest is that I have no such issue when using IE6; I can continue to browse the web normally while IMON is checking the downloaded file.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

have u tried setting your browser to Maximum Compatibility?

3. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

Yes, I have it set to higher compatibility. I also tried reinstalling NOD32, but reach the same result.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi BDSM, welcome to Wilders.

I would recommend using the Norton Removal Tool as well as repairing Winsock as described HERE and then repairing IMON as described in post number 40 HERE

After this you shouldn't see any delay when using IMON.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

5. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome Blackspear.

I did not need to use the Norton Removal Tool as this is a fresh install of WinXP SP2 and Norton is long gone as of my recent disk format. The only other programs that have been loaded, besides NOD32, is a firewall and browsers (Firefox/Opera). I'm just testing NOD32 out on a sparse install.

I did follow your recommendations for repairing Winsock and IMON though. However, I still have the same issue. After a large compressed file is downloaded in either Firefox or Opera, no new pages will load in the browser while IMON is processing the download. This problem does not exist for me in IE6; however, I do not plan to use IE6 :D

Any other ideas?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Coud you provide some url you have a problem with?

7. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

As I mentioned in my first post, downloading Eclipse SDK 3.2.1 for Windows at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Other compressed files I noticed a slight interruption to browser functionality -- but nothing worth crying over actually. None, however, so much as this particular one. For that file, when IMON finishes it increments the number of files scanned by ~60k. Perhaps it's just too much at one time?

For NOD32 on this computer (P4 3.2ghz) to scan that file by itself took 2:48. For NAV on a 1.4ghz Athlon it took 7:43. Perhaps I picked the wrong file to base my opinion of IMON on? Then again, I'm still perplexed as to why downloading this file in Firefox or Opera would render those browsers unable to load new pages until IMON finished checking the download, while IE6 had no such problem and I could continue to browse normally.

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I have sometimes the same problem, which disapeares when i deactivate "Advanced Heuristic' in the IMON setup.

9. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

I tried disabling AH, but to no avail. Personally, I would like to keep the full functionality of IMON without this particular concern. However, if I disable archive scanning in IMON I do not get the problem at all. Although seems like this shouldn't have to be done as IE6 doesn't have the issue.

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

In my opinion, this is a flaw in the way that Opera and Firefox were programmed. They both have built in download managers. After the file has finished downloading, it gets scanned by IMON. Trouble is, the download manager sits and waits until the scanning has completed, and this can take a very long time. The way these browsers seem to have been coded, the download manager will lock up the rest of the browser until the scanning is completed. This is a flaw in the browser designs.

11. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

Yeah, that's what I was starting to think. But this boasts well as it's not NOD32's fault. I still have over 3 weeks on my trial, but I'm thinking I'll be purchasing NOD32 in the not so distant future. I'll just have to remember that large downloads might be an issue when they finish with Firefox/Opera.

Thanks alglove for setting my mind at ease.

12. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Hmm, haven't noticed it, but I don't download a lot of large zip files. SeaMonkey might behave better (that's what I usually use to download)? I have downloaded some over 200 MB, takes a while on dial up.

SeaMonkey has a nice browser, in my opinion and just as safe as Firefox. Hard to find compatible extensions, but there are several good ones. I had to modify Undoclosetab a little to work alongside Tab Clicking Options. The available version used to work fine with Mozilla, but it doesn't with SeaMonkey.

13. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I use Firefox, in the past three weeks I've downloaded 5 vista beta files,
    4 at 2.3gb and 1 at 3.2gb. I used the FFox download manager.

I've not had the problems mentioned, is NOD32 to blame ?
    I have NOD32 compatability in IMON set to default as maximum effiencey,
    the slider is all the way to the right.

What about the "Larger File Download Settings" ?
    Mine are both selected,
    Switch to passive at 2048kb
    and
    The other one at 55 seconds.

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've found out what's going on, the installer has thousands of nested archives, each containing files that may potentially carry malicious code. One should not expect a scan of such a complex archive to be completed within a second or two:

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
  15. BDSM

BDSM Registered Member

Marcos, I mentioned that the file was somewhat ... intensive to scan in my post here. But none of the files I've downloaded since have been as compressed at that one file; guess I got the short straw on the first draw ;)

But I think alglove was right about Firefox/Opera working a little differently with their download managers. With that Eclipse download in IE6 I could still load pages; Firefox/Opera just seemed to die until IMON was done. Not IMON's fault, like he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.