License Agreement ?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by gottadoit, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Jason,
    I was reading your license agreement and was wondering about a couple of things that seemed a little OTT
    I'm not suggesting you will actually do anything wrong, but equally well someone else may come and purchase your company and then who knows what might happen

I'm not really sure that I'd go onto my old backups and remove the RegDefend keyfile in order to comply with this... not to mention that most of them are on RO media so its not entirely practical
    What is the purpose of having this statement in the agreement ?

Reserving the right to terminate the "license to use" your product after someone has purchased a right to use seems a little odd... what is the purpose behind wanting to have this ?

Also just by performing periodic full backups of a computer the license file will be on more than 1 backup and that would automatically invalidate the license... ??

I can see that you might wish to lock out keyfiles that have been stolen from PC's to cut down on piracy, but if you made use of the provision to terminate a keyfile why couldn't you email the legitimate owner informing them of it and telling them how to contact you to get a new one. If the registered user hasn't kept their email address up to date, then thats hardly your problem

Thanks

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well, some of those details are from the CryptoSuite license agreement, I will have to update that licensekey.csu part especially. :)

But that other stuff is just there for protection, I know it seems in a way very anti-friendly. It's not our problem is someone's machine gets infected and someone steals the key and it's distributed, etc, so the onus shouldn't be on us to email the victim and tell them their key has been stolen. However in the cases where this has happened we have indeed emailed them and told them.

There is many reasons why the serial-code/keyfile might have to be removed from a user, and instead of listing every possible event it is much easier to say we reserve to right for any reason. Sure this means it can be abused by the company, but if any company did that for long they would have no customers, so it's not in our best interests to block keyfiles for no valid reason.

Hope that makes sense, thanks for spotting the error(s). :)

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

On a related issue, what is the exact scope of the Unlimited Licence? All computers owned by the licence holder? All computers owned within a single location/network? All computers in a single location owned by close relations (a "family" licence)? Any absolute restriction on numbers of copies?

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

All computers owned by the person who registered it and any computers which stay in the home/residence of said person. It must be for "personal use" only however. :)

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.