Let's see how this plays out!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I read this earlier, it's crazy.

I'm not sure how much more obvious MS can make it that they don't want Windows RT users to use the desktop, infact, the only reason it even exists is because they don't have time to make Office Metro apps from scratch. No software can be installed in the desktop mode, yet here is Mozilla and Google complaining that their browsers won't run in it. No duh, they don't want people using desktop mode.

Firefox and Chrome will be able to run fine as Metro apps. I'd be willing to bet come Windows 9/Windows Next, the desktop won't exist on the tablet version, making all this whining from Google and Mozilla completely pointless.

FYI, Windows 8 users have nothing to worry about, this "issue", is isolated to Windows RT (ARM) only. Also, if you want to run desktop apps (such as Firefox) on a tablet, the solution is simple, buy an x86 tablet, not an ARM one.

edit: Actually this article clarifies way more things than the article I read does:

So basically they aren't complaining about running in desktop mode, they are complaining about reduced functionality when running in Metro mode when compared to IE metro which has more functionality. That's definitely completely unfair.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

More:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-allow-rival-browsers-on-arm-windows-desktop/

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"Microsoft throws browsers back to 'Dark Ages'"

So, what's new?

5. guest

guest Guest

Ridiculous. Chromebook too doesn't allow browsers other than Chrome. Bunch of hypocrites? Again, this restriction is only valid for ARM devices and it is necessary, other vendors targeting ARM architecture are doing just that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Documents that allegedly disappear from corporate websites?
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...r_with_Windows_RT?taxonomyId=144&pageNumber=2

BTW, the duo that welcomes competition in the search engine industry seems to be getting apoplectic over people wanting to compete elsewhere!

7. guest

guest Guest

Ask Mozilla to open Boot2Gecko to other browsers as well.

Ask Google to open Chrome OS/Chromebook to other browsers as well.

Again (in bold): bunch of hypocrites!

This may be the most explicit case of hypocrisy in the history lol.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Two wrongs don't make a right

10. guest

guest Guest

Windows RT is different from Windows, it is a product designed for a different platform that requires such control (again every other vendor is doing the same, including - of course - the hypocrites). The previous commitments for Windows don't necessarily apply to Windows RT, because the aimed platforms are different and have different requirements.

~ Removed Personal Comments ~

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed.

12. guest

guest Guest

I'm still using Mozilla Firefox despite the hypocrisy of these Google/Mozilla complaints about Windows RT. Anyways, I'm sure there are people on Mozilla (and on Google) that don't agree with such complaints.

But of course, the anti-microsoft won't skip an old gnawed bone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.