Leftover Antivirus Drivers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Right now I have uninstalled Avast! to try Panda Cloud, mainly to compare performance. However, after uninstalling Avast!, I checked my non plug-and-play drivers in Device Manager, and all Avast!'s drivers are still there, as well as a ZoneAlarm and Zemana Anti-Logger driver.

Specifically there is
    - aswFsBlk
    - aswMonFlt
    - aswRdr
    - aswSnx
    - aswSP
    - avast! Network Shield Support

Also, there is Fs_Rec, which I'm not sure what security program it belonged to, but it is faded meaning whatever it belonged to was uninstalled.

And there is a2injectiondriver. I have EAM 6 installed, but is this an old driver no longer used? Because it is faded out as well.

Should these be left behind? Should I delete them?

2. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

I would say that if you are 100% certain those drivers located at the Non-Plug & Play devices in the Device Manager belong to security software no longer installed on your PC it shouldn't cause any problems just right-clicking them and deleting 'em. A reminder: reboot your PC once you've done so.

I have yet to find an AV/Firewall or Security Suite that don't absolutely leave anything behind once uninstalled.

That's why I'd rather restore my computer HDD from an image than uninstalling one AV/FW and installing another.

Regards,

Carlos

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Download avast!'s uninstall utility ( hxxp://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe ) and run it in safe mode. Choose the version of avast! (4, 5, 6, ect) that you want to uninstall, and then run the tool, reboot and check your drivers again.

4. Brandonn2010

Already had done that. They were still there. I'm surprised some many security programs leave drivers behind. Isn't that usually why people have system problems after changing antiviruses?

5. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Hi Brandonn2010

fs_rec.sys is Microsoft file system recognizer file

The filename is sometimes used by malware hidden in different locations on disk to disguise against detection

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have installed/uninstalled avast! many times, on many machines, and I have never seen even one driver left over. I have no idea what went wrong on your setup, but it's obvious something did.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I hate when that happens bothers the heck out of me.It sounds like it did not uninstall correctly.There is not to much software that does not leave junk behind.

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You probably don't have set the device manager set to show non-present devices.

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> right-click the bottom box and enter the string devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and give it number 1.

Then start the Device Manager and choose "Show hidden devices". Under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, you will now see the leftovers.

9. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Nope, I had my device manager set correctly to view hidden drivers. ;)

10. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Then the obvious weird thing you mentioned that happened, happened on your setup, because security software, without exception (maybe Avira) leave stuff behind there.

11. Brandonn2010

Well from what I've deleted today and in the past, I think every security program I've tried has left some driver behind.

And actually I did get some error during uninstall for Avast! but even aswclear didn't remove them. I've reinstalled Avast! though after trying Panda Cloud and trying to try Avira, so it's doesn't matter now.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Formatting is your best friend, nothing like the smell of a fresh OS :D

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Branndon the ghost/grey drivers ( King Grub mentioned the way to see them) are safe to delete if the said security software is no longer on your system. I've deleted them for years with no issues.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hmm.......you format and reinstall os to get rid of nasty malware or rootkit....you also format and reinstall os to get rid of anti-malware ......now that's a ..:ouch: ..o_O ....:p .

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

this thread got me checking for left overs. only found one so far.

examples.JPG

Attached Files:

16. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Pretty much shows why it's best practice to reinstall/reimage before trying out a new antivirus.

17. Brandonn2010

I don't know about that, but I have been thinking of formatting and reinstalling, then downloading updates and installing drivers, then creating an image of that, rather than having to reinstall in the future and go through activation, but how does that work with a product key? Will I be able to use my Windows key again or will I have to talk to someone and have then make it good again?

18. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

As long as you are re-installing Windows on the same hardware it was previously installed [ by same hardware, I mean the SAME computer], you should not have any problems at all.

However, if you try to “cheat” by installing the same Windows product key on a different hardware [different computer], you may need to call a MS representative to explain this to him/her so they would decide if they allow you to activate your copy of Windows.

HTH

Regards,

Carlos

19. Brandonn2010

Would having an image of a fresh installation that's been activated bypass all the BS?

20. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

You'll have to use your Windows key to reinstall, but that's about it. Very unlikely to need to use phone activation.

There's no need to activate Windows each time you restore from an image - it's already activated. That's part of the point of an image, it just continues from where you left off. Microsoft won't notice or have any reason to care even if they did.

21. Brandonn2010

Excellent. I may just keep an image then with just an updated Windows and my wireless adapter driver.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah i do it every now and then :D

23. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I am addicted to image the system here does not uninstall anything, just restore the image. I believe that this year alone I have restored my system more than 200 times...

It may sound crazy, but it is not! o_O

Uninstall Antivirus is quite complicated, they make lots and lots of tracks on the computer. :thumbd:

24. Brandonn2010

To each his own but that would be almost every other day. I would only consider restoring an image as a last-resort option.

You need to go to security rehab with trjam :D

25. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

we're on the same boat :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.