Launching ATI from Windows Task Scheduler.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I would like to launch my ATI Scheduled Task from the Windows TS,trough a batch file,as I want to wake up my computer from sleeping.

I understand that a script must be written but I never quite understood how to do it.
    Can someone provide me with an how-to, step by step, please?
    Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello babac,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please use the below instructions in order to execute tasks on schedule on a computer that you need to wake up from standby to run the task.

Please create a task with Windows Scheduler and call Acronis True Image Service using a command line like below where you fill in the path and filename of appropriate Acronis True Image Script file in place of the [bracketed portion]:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe" /script:"[drive:path\scriptname.tis]"

Acronis True Image Script files for scheduled backups are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Applicaton Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts and have the extension "tis". To make sure that the necessary script will be selected you can edit it with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and then identify it by modification date and time stamp.

Also you can review several threads available on this forum for more information.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

3. babac

babac Registered Member

Hello Oleg,
    Please rest assured that I have read quite a few threads on this matter before posting and I never found a solution to my problem.

The problem with this path is that I do not have any ''Application data'' folder and none of the other following files.This path stops with ''All Users''.
    Are they supposed to have been created from my previous Acronis scheduled backups?
    Thank you.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You might have to enable "Hidden System Files".

Open Windows Explorer, then click Tools>Folder Options>View. The put the dot in Show Hidden Files And Folders. Also while you're there, uncheck both Hide Extensions For Known File Types and Hide Protected Operating System Files.

5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi DwnNdrty,
    I had already unchecked those except the bolded one.I did uncheck it and it still does not show.
    I run a research with the Windows tool and it found them,as per this screen shot.
    http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8453/acronistists8.jpg
    The problem is that I don't see them. I have two computers,xp fam and xp pro and this problem exists on both.
    Thank you.

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

It’s not clear to me why you cannot see anything in the Application Data folder. Note that this folder and its contents are hidden so you do have to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files as stated above. May require a re-boot, don’t know. You mentioned creating a batch file but that is probably not necessary. Windows scheduled task may want a password but that can be fixed at least for Windows XP Home. Never tried it in Win XP Pro.

To follow is a procedure I wrote to accomplish what you are trying to do. Hopefully this will help.

Attached Files:

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I understand that using the Windows scheduler works to wake a sleeping computer. But, do backups run more reliably when the Windows scheduler is used instead of the Acronis scheduler?

8. babac

babac Registered Member

Hello Bruce Mahnke,
    I cannot see my TI script files, where they are supposed to be.Even from Windows Explorer.
    If I can't access them ,I fail to see how I can follow what you wrote and paste [script name .tib .tis].I cannot paste what I don't see.Can't I?
    Thanks for your help.

9. Bruce Mahnke

Yes, you do have a point. Is it possible that when you installed TrueImage 10 you didn’t install it for all users? You might try doing a search for any .TIS files to see where they reside (*.tis). You would have to enable hidden files in the search. From the image you posted they should be visible. I guess I can’t explain it.

10. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    I have another point.I already made a file research for these .TIS files as mentionned in post # 5.
    Thank you.

11. Bruce Mahnke

Have you done this as suggested by DwnNdrty in Post #4 above? Very sorry, I forgot that you have already answered this. Very important to confirm that "Show hidden files and folders" is truly selected.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  12. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    Yes,yes and yes.
    I also mentionned it on post # 5...
    Thank you.

13. Bruce Mahnke

Well, we gave it a good try. I’m basically out of ideas but I do have an additional thought or perhaps a question. Is there any possibility that security software (antivirus, firewall etc.) is causing this issue? You could try shutting these down as a test. Some of these are very aggressive and difficult to close down.

Another thought would be to shutdown the startup group (Disable All) using the System Configuration Utility accessible at Start > Run and type in msconfig, press OK. This would require a re-boot to get back into Windows. This would prevent many applications from running at start up that conceivably might be interferring. After the test you would want to do it again selecting Enable All. This is an example showing my entries:

Attached Files:

14. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Babac,
    Just as a confirmation. I mounted an old v10-4942 backup and confirmed the paths are as stated in posting #2.
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageService.exe

You might find it helpful to also mount a v10 backup and browse the mounted Document & Settings folder and use the search function for "scripts" without the quotes. I do not remember whether we were ever able to install for our own specific user name instead of all users.

If the Scripts folder truly does not exist, then it can be added to the TrueImage Folder within the same path range.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

babac,

If we go back to the initial problem, you can get the access to the script in the following way: Find the necessary script by means of Search utility -> Make double-click on it -> Select, for example, Notepad from the list of the programs -> Open the file and save it to the desired location.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

16. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Either yo don't have rights to reveal those system directories or you somehow managed to set up a very unconventional windows system, which wouldn't be something that ATI did. The Docs & Settings\allusers
    app data folder is a system folder that XP sets up when it is installed. I think it would take some monekeying to move or remove.

Is this Vista or XP?

If XP, this is a strange setup indeed. Was ATI installed for all users?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  17. shieber

The windows scheduler is pretty reliable -- probs running ATI tasks genrally seem to be probs with ATI sceheduler or with ATI tasks themselves (e.g., ATI 12/2009 has probs editing tasks and leaving them as valid tasks).

I don't recall any probs ever with the win scheduler.

18. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    Please refer to my post #5
    As per my signature ,I'm under xp and I am the only user of both computers.

Thank you.

19. Bruce Mahnke

Another thought:

Attached Files:

20. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    Yes, I have administrator privileges.

21. Bruce Mahnke

Here's something I found. I checked my Registry and I do have a value of 1.

http://www.technipages.com/xp-show-hidden-files-and-folders-doesnt-work.html

From what I've read this may be caused by a virus that changes the hidden files setting. Might be prudent to turn off System Restore, which will delete all restore points, and then do a virus scan. You can also do a Google search on Show Hidden Files. I don't see this as an Acronis TrueImage issue but rather a problem in your Windows XP, SP2 operating system.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  22. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    Thank you very much for this procedure.
    However, can you be more precise with the following : ''• Open Notepad that you had minimized. Look for the entry [Enter Script Name.tib.tis] and delete all of this.''
    When you say ''delete all of this, you mean all of what ?
    Thank you.

23. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce Mahnke,
    With the solution you brought in post # 21, you hit a home run.Congratulations to you.I'm really impressed.I can now see and copy/paste my Acronis Scripts.
    As I had this problem on both of my computers, I was really desesperate to find a way out.
    Thank you very much to you and all other people who tried to help me .

24. Bruce Mahnke

It looks like you got it worked out but to make sure that it’s clear when I said delete all of this I meant to erase this part including the brackets - [Enter Script Name.tib.tis]. This was only there as a temporary place holder. In the steps that followed you enter your specific script in place of it.

Bruce

25. shieber

Ah. So it was a Windows issue all along as most had said.

That particular registry value isn't one that's likely to change without manually chaning the setting or an "unfriendly" program repeatedly changing it to some particular value (in which case one would be wise to check security program settings and after that, search for malware.)

Btw, even if you are the "only user" on your PC, the system still distinguishes between "allusers" and each username, even if there is only one username -- Vista goes one step abouve this but so it goes in xp. But anyway, nice to know they found the problem in you windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.