Last piece of the puzzle

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by n8chavez, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

My entire setup is listed in my signature. I am going to continue using sandboxie as my main security application. I believe prevention is better than the cure. That being said I am having a hard time determining what anti-malware application to use; MBAM or Edge. I have the paid version of MBAM, with on-access protection on. I like it a lot but I am a little concerned with what it considers malware. The only way that I have to test products like this is by test apps, such as keylogger test and eicar, which are not detected by MBAM because they are not 'real'. I would hate to become infected by something that MBAM didn't deem worthy enough.

What would you do if you have my setup; MBAM or Edge. Or, is an infection even plausible with SBIE?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

N8chavez,

You did not mention it, but I assume you have a rescue CD and image backup plus data backup on an external (off line) hard drive.

RE: SBIE
    It is not likely that something passes SBIE, but it is always possible. Therefore you should scan before making a backup-up and keep two or three instances of your image backup.

RE: Bulletproof config
    I suppose you keep everything in the sandbox and do not install new software. When you move things out of the Sandbox or install software, SBIE does not protect you. So 'bulletproof' (with the current technology/knowledge of existing bullets) is only valid when you keep everything in the sandbox.

RE: Missing piece
    Can't answer that really. When keeping everything in the Sandbox you do not need any additional real time protection, for pre-backup scans you can use freeware (SAS, MBAM, A2, Bitdefender, AVIRA, CSI, SPywaredoctor Google pack free, Norton Google pack free etc).

Cheers

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

N8chavez,
    Based only on what I've been reading here I'm probably going to go with the Edge system.
    Hugger

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

n8chavez, I also feel sandboxie is one of the best security applications ever created.

As Kees1958 mentioned, where you would need something (like MBAM or prevx edge) would be once you recover a file from sandboxie that you intend on keeping and using. You don't want to recover something only to find out it's damaged your files/system by the time you've realised something is wrong.

Using what is in your signature, you could scan a recovered file with dr web's cureit or the avz tool, or both. If that's too time consuming, use a real-time scanner that's light, and works best on your system. You'd be the best judge of that.

Regarding MBAM, I've only ever used the on-demand scans, and from my understanding, the on-demand scans are most important at removing infections. So for real-time, you have the other option listed (prevx edge).

If this doesn't do it for you, also look at adding either avast! or avira. Both are light too.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

My sig is the end of a quest. Perfection.;)

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Personally dont feel comfortable running 2 HIPS, afraid for serious under the hood (silent but security/stability breaching) conflicts - that said Edge and SB have proven to be incompatible with several security apps therefore id pick the other combo (SB n MBAM), this one should be totally safe but neverthless both proven to be very good programs.

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Those of you that have been around for a while know that I like to prepare for the possible, rather than the probable. Which product has better detection?

trjam - Are there any conflicts with Edge and SBIE? I know that there are conflicts between WinPatrol and Edge, and I'm not happy about needing to switch back to Anvir (it's kinda heavy).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.