Large Hadron Collider runs open source.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/the-large-hadron-collider

What is at the heart of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiments? It should not surprise you that open-source software is one of the things that powers the most complex scientific human endeavor ever attempted. I hope to give you a glimpse into how scientific computing embraces open-source software and the open-source philosophy in one of the LHC experiments.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

God help us all if that thing caught a virus :D I love these scientific breakthroughs, though I couldn't care less if it was open source software or what have you. Open source is an option, not a savior.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Indeed :( Wonder if linux is safe from .LNK type exploits etc ?

You might not love this though :eek:

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh Clone, lol, you really believe this stuff? No one on the planet KNOWS barely a thing about the galaxy, hell, we don't KNOW everything about our own planet, and we live here. There is very, very little we can prove, and "strangelets" isn't one of those things. Think sensibly, what would be gained by knowingly screwing around with something that might make the human race extinct, not a country or continent, but the entire race? Not even the most evil "want to rule the world" psycho would pull that stunt. What would there be to rule? If you want to worry about anything galactic, try the many asteroids that meander close by the Earth. We KNOW they exist, and boy could they cause problems.

Otherwise, worry about more earthly issues, God knows we have enough of those. As for Linux and the link vulnerability, I've no idea. But an interesting question nonetheless.

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Well lets put it this way, Gods notwithstanding, it has far lesser chance of catching one than Windows and also way remote chance of doing a BSOD ;)

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can just imagine the galactic history lesson of the day in some alien school, light years away.

"Earth was the third planet from the Sun. It was home to millions of species of animals, and, an intelligent, yet highly destructive race of beings called humans. After thousands of years of destroying the life-giving, sheltering world around them, they succumbed to their own creation, a highly primitive, yet, effective tool created to bring down their equally primitive computers and networks. This tool was the virus. It was created to bring enemy systems to their knees, and, to be used as a tool in crime.

What little record remains of this species shows that a virus had gone undetected on their worlds' largest particle accelerator as human scientists were studying strangelets, an extremely unwise and dangerous endeavor, given their limited knowledge and technology. The virus triggered an error and caused Earth to be converted to strange matter, eradicating all life on the planet."

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

God, don't you just love it when ignorant laypeople try to throw in their 2 cents about advanced particle physics and quantum theory, and talk about it as though it were some B-grade wannabe sci-fi movie?

Isn't it bad enough already that they try to act like they know Linux?

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Who was that directed at? I'd hope my previous post was taken as it should have been, a bit of humor.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

As the ancients used to say: num me vexo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.