Laptop freezes when starting image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vectrose, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vectrose

vectrose Registered Member

I am using Win 98 SE on a Toshiba laptop. I have tried the latest version, 826, and the one that came on the cd but each time I try to start an image the laptop freezes and needs a hard reboot.

Any solutions on this?

Thanks.

A frustrated user. :mad:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vectrose,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 859 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

Could you please also explain the following? You try to create the image to the hard drive, am I correct? If not, please try to save the image on your hard drive and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Irina,

I believe that when you or Ilya recommend downloading Build 859, it would help to also issue a statement explaining that the Explore Image on this build is defective and that it will be fixed in the next new build. This would prevent subsequent User concern (anger?) and, hopefully, stop a number of unnecessary questions.

Best regards
    Tom

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for your post.

I agree with you that we have to mention that the latest build of Acronis True Image improperly explores an image archive. We will certainly add the information about this problem when we suggest to update.

Please also note that the new build includes many minor fixes as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Thank you for taking note Irina. It will help to ease your workload I'm sure.

Regards
    Tom

6. vectrose

I have registered and as indicated I have tried the latest version. I am trying to make an image of my C drive to my D drive. It is the same disk, but it is partitioned. In all versions my laptop freezes. I did a search on the forums and was able to find a few problems last year that were fixed by some registry hack. I am not too good with those type of things and just want this program to work.

There were some references to shedhlp that worked for others but it is not working here.

Any help with this? Support replied back to try the latest version and I had indicated that I had done that in my original email.

This program and support does not give me any warm fuzzies.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Windows 98 can be very problematic, especially if your installation has been used for some time as errors accumulate over time. Your best bet would be to boot from the CD to create the image.

8. vectrose

Not good enough. The box clearly states it will work with Win 98.

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you boot from the TI Recovery CD and can make an image, then there's no problem with the hardware on your system.

If there's no hardware problem, then the lockup is a software problem under Windows. Boot into SAFE mode and try making a backup. If you are successful, the software problem is something that loads in a normal boot but doesn't load in SAFE mode.

Each step narrows the search for a solution to your problem.

You can cooperate and take suggestions or choose to ignore them. The forum offers the most help to those who are willing to take suggestions.

10. vectrose

jmk94903 stated "You can cooperate and take suggestions or choose to ignore them. The forum offers the most help to those who are willing to take suggestions."

That is really an unfair assessment. I am looking for and trying suggestions. In fact the suggestions of trying safe mode and booting from the cd were the only ones brought forward including from Acronis Support. He is implying I am not willing to take suggestions. WRONG.

I will try these and reply back. Perhaps we can get this beta program to work after all.

11. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

While you may not have intended it, what you wrote shows "an attitude" to me as well as to jmk94903. Good luck in solving your problem.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Fair enough. Let us know, and we will do our best to provide help. Attitude is a subjective thing. That's what I felt when I read your "Not good enough.." comment, and that's why my reply was worded the way it was. Calling TI "beta software" falls in the same class. Less attitiude begets more help.

That doesn't mean we don't understand that you are frustrated, and rightly so, it's just how you express it. Let's all lighten up and try to find the solution.

13. Acronis Support

Hello vectrose,

Have you tried to uninstall Acronis True Image and then install the latest build (i.e. 859 rather than 826)? Also please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_s_e.exe

If the problem does persist, please enable logging by running the update once more, reproduce the program failure and send the c:\snapapi.log file to support@acronis.com along with Acronis Report (it is described at Acronis Help Post) and the link to this thread. We will try to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.