KPF being discontinued

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mikel108, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Great firewall sadly its dropping out of the competition gave Zonealarm a good run for their money awesome product.

2. CyGho

CyGho Registered Member

On the Dutch NOD32 site:
    NOD32 en Kerio bundelen krachten in strijd tegen cybercriminelen (In English something like NOD32 and Kerio join forces in battle against cybercrime)

http://www.nod32.nl/about/pressnl.htm

So an NOD32 with firewall is in the make. Or a Kerio with antivirus :)

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

but thats maybe old news and i doubt that nod32 has bought kerio maybe thay are partners

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Eset needs a security suite : Kerio is the firewall and NOD32 is the AV, but they still need an Anti-Spyware and Agnitum needs still an AV :D :D :D

5. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

I think I mentioned about NOD32 getting a firewall in an earlier post within this thread. Maybe Eset have brought the rights to the kerio firewall, and are going to implement a version within a suite. Who knows.

6. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Well, Sygate to Outpost to Kerio and now Kaspersky Anti-Hacker - so far so good... really easy to use, nice clean interface, light on resources..... :)

Fedorov.

7. chaos16

hopefully kerio will give the personal firewall to nod32 and hopefully nod32 improves on it way way better.

8. ErikAlbert

I have the perfect solution for Eset and Agnitum :
    Eset give their NOD32 to Agnitum for free.
    Agnitum give their AntiSpyware to Eset in return.

Eset Security Suite (ESS) = Kerio Firewall + NOD32 AV + Agnitum Anti-Spyware
    Agnitum Security Suite (ASS) = Outpost Firewall + NOD32 AV + Agnitum Anti-Spyware

Isn't that something.

9. chaos16

but kerio wont be developed any more?

wat i am saying that if kerio wont update there personal firewall any more than nod32 can carry on it work?

10. ErikAlbert

Kerio Firewall will survive in the Eset Security Suite and nobody of Kerio gets unemployed.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sry just noticed that. tho i think an security suite of nod32 and outpost pro would be great as i do use both. neways i guess the firewall competition shortens once more. now people have only ZA for a free appication based firewall. also even if the firewall isnt updated anymore, cant the people just continue using it? people still use v2.

12. chaos16

load of ppl like me feel safer using the latest version with newer features and more fixed bugs.

13. ErikAlbert

I call them both the Frankenstein Security Suites :D

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's true, but I have a feeling that it has more to do with Kerio 4 having a bad reputation in general. 4.2 actually turned out pretty good, but that old reputation is hard to change.. maybe they just decided to dump it for that reason...

15. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

ay the reputation for kpf might not be that great, but what about winroute firewallo_O

16. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

I also wonder what that's gonna mean for avast! for kerio?! Interesting to see what happens there....

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

lots of other companies have plugins as well. mcafee, eset, and symantec to name a few.

18. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

For those looking for a replacement to Kerio you might want to consider NetVeda or Filseclab. I was a Kerio user for years but for various reasons I decided to try out some other firewalls (of the free persuasion). I used NetVeda for awhile and for the most part was happy with it but I never was completely sold on it. I am currently using Filseclab and am very, very happy with it.

I know there's also ZoneAlarm (ugh!) .... but for me that is a non-option. :D

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think the loss of kerio is a real blow. I've used kerio 2.xx through 4.2 and found all of them to be great firewalls that never caused me a problem, other than a screwup when I tried to uninstall 4.2 a while back. I've since discovered it wasn't kerio that messed up but another program I was running.

I like kerio 4.2 and when I'm not trying out some other firewall will go back to 4.2. I think it will be good for a couple of years, maybe longer. The free version offers a lot more than ZA free. I think kerio is the best free firewall out there right now. Although it takes some resources, it doesn't seem to slow down my system at all.

20. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

For what it is worth , Kerio is an EXCELLENT firewall . Some like it . Some do not . As is the case with most people in forums . Feelings aside , Kerio is very good protection . Many here talk about 2.15 as it is God . Not hardly . The 4.x versions are much better . Like it or not . But , the point is , it is sad to see this . As I am an avid security tester , there are only 3 firewalls I will even consider now . Kerio was one . And , their support was decent . That speaks volumes in this day of non supportive support teams .
    As for this talk of NOD picking it up . No comment as I have no idea where this comes from . I do know that the person NOW in charge at ESET is a very forward thinking individual with a STRONG background . I expect changes and many good things to come from NOD . Anyway , goodbye Kerio . It was a good one

21. 5432345

5432345 Guest

I think Eset programmers are able to make good firewall without buying third party software...

If they implement Kerio 4 that Security Suite will just be resource hog.....

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

"Anyway , goodbye Kerio . It was a good one"

That's right, hollywoodpc, and it'll still be a very good one for a long time to come. I sure hope somebody picks it up and continues development. I'll stick with it as my main firewall for the foreseeable future. Got it saved to CD for the day this computer bites the dust. It will go on my next unless I switch to Apple, which I'm seriously considering.

23. 3453245

3453245 Guest

This sounds funny:

"Secondly, the anti-spyware code is developed from Tauscan, Agnitum’s award-winning anti-Trojan software."

It look like that just Agnitum calls Tauscan award-winning software....

24. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

It is really strange when people start changing firewalls when they hear stuff like this. Same happened with Sygate. I for one made no intentions of ditching a fw that i have found is good for me.

For those that use pro versions, sure if the updates are not coming to IDS or that "titty" etc. feature and they are really needed.
    But many of us use free versions of firewall, and where is the need to change?

25. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

a lot of people don't like using "forzen builds" b/c they know if bugs in the program ever arise they won't be fixed and the program will eventually (and possible not too far in the future) not provide such good protection as hackers and trojan horses update their techniques. However, i intend to stay with kpf 4.2 for quite a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.