Knowing the current version

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Riverrun, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I installed the 9.04 Ubuntu Beta and it's hardly like a Beta at all. My feeling is that JJ will be a landmark Ubutu release.

My question is: will I have to re-install when the final comes out or will a normal package update do the trick?

Doing an dist-upgrade is out of the question as I've already tweaked the distro so much that I know from experience that a dist-upgrade will fail.

lsb_release -a produces the following:

No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 9.04
    Release: 9.04
    Codename: jaunty

I've installed all the updates but as you can see, the output doesn't tell me if I'm still running the Beta or if I've already got the RC and I'd like to know.

Is there a command that will give me more information than the above and reassure me that I've got the final when it becomes available?

Accustomed and all as I am to the excellent quality of Ubuntu and other Linux Distros, I must say that I'm kind of overwhelmed with Jaunty. It's still hard to believe that such a powerful, secure and exceptional distribution is available for free.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are using RC1, on April 23 it will auto update itself to release edition.

3. Riverrun

If that's the case, I'll have to reinstall since I didn't get the RC in the first place.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Only RC1 gets updated, no other.

5. Riverrun

Thanks for that, I'm definately running the beta, oh dear.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The good news is you can install the RC now and beat the rush and server overload that will come next week. I have it installed here myself and it's looking great. :thumb:

7. Riverrun

For those who are in the same situation as myself the following command will show the current version: cat /etc/apt/sources.list

In my case it shows that I've still got the Beta.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list produces:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Beta i386 (20090324)]/ jaunty main restricted

There is a whole lot more information in the output but I haven't got the RC and that's the main thing.

8. Riverrun

Starting a torrent right now.

9. Riverrun

Thanks Arup and Kerodo.

10. Riverrun

I'm on a fast torrent and it shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I'll stick with the Beta until Thursday, install the RC Thursday evening and do a dist-upgrade straight away.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.