kis v6

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I've run this pretty hard all week & without doubt it's the strongest internet suite going. Don't let the user friendly GUI fool you, there's some real stuff going on under the hood. I'll say without reservation that if you give the program a chance & configure it properly you'll be more than pleased. You'll be safe & secure & to top it off it's from Kaspersky. The resource useage is so low you'll be hard pressed to think it's really running but trust me it'll tell you it is when it finds a trojan or if a program is tinkering with your registry ( I had both occur). Outstanding work & for those that haven't tried it & I mean 'really' tried it, give it a good look, this is a great piece of security prgramming...

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

OMG - that's terrible! If you've had trojans and things tinkering with your Registry that means KAV's realtime scanner must have let them through. You'd better install NOD asap before anything more gets in. :D :D

3. larryb52

to the forum moderator please remove the thread, folks here want negative comments not positive ones where things work well, thanks...

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Larry,

That's not generally the case. There's more than enough partisan advocates to go around for all the vendors out there, and each has their own.

Positive comments are as welcome as negative ones.

To follow-up posters, stay on topic and please edit quotes to capture what was actually said, not an out-of-context fragment.

I've been using KIS 6.0 and then KAV WS 6.0 on my test partition for some time. It is an excellent effort all around.

Finally, the thread stays.

Blue

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Oh dear, my tongue in my cheek does not seem to have been detected!

I use KAV so I don't think I'm partisan against it - on the contrary, it stops everything before it gets in. That's why I'm curious to know how come our original poster appears to have trojans and things on his system. Maybe I misunderstood what was intended?

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

He didn't say the nasties were ON his system. There is nothing in his post to preclude the likelihood that he was referring to schtuff that was caught by K's real-time monitor. On the other hand -- isn't the astroturf lovely this time of year?

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Quite green I have to say ;) Must be a new kind of fertilizer...

Alphalutra1

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

larryb52,
    Since my new security setup isn't complete yet, I will run the trial version of KIS V6 first as a temporary additional protection and then I will try another security suite.
    So your dedicated post influenced my very first choice. Looking under the hood sounds attractive too. :)

9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Please explain, what has this to do with astroturf?

10. larryb52

initially I didn't care for it but I was prompted by a forum moderator @ Kaspersky to hang with it & glad I did... while the pop ups from the firewall is a bit alarming at first, hang in there , there's a reason for them. It's a super program that is well laid out...the reason I said there's lot''s under the hood is that the front end is so pleasing that it looks like it's too simple but there's alot of options to tweak or leave at default...you can make the program do what you want just keep looking & asking questions...

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Evidently dslreports has infected this site now. :(
    See the astroturd thread there which has finally been locked.
    You have a lot of reading there...396 posts. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15837610

12. zcv

zcv Registered Member

LOL, yes finally put out of its misery.

Always supprised that the Mods there allow what is, maybe, an interesting subject go on and on and ....

Regards - Charles

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Can anyone update us as to the web scanning and webpage loading times issues.Is is being worked on for the official release in May?.Just went to this site for the first time trialing KIS and it took 151 seconds to completely load it.Went back after clearing the cache and disabling web scanning and loaded in 8 seconds.Could you try it and let me know how long it took you?.Thanks.

http://www.cluboc.net/
    Club Overclocker - The Original Overclocker's Club!

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

3 seconds.

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

3 seconds, Wow!.And that's with the web scanning enabled?.Any idea why it's acting this way on mine?.I'm running an AMD64 2800+, 512 MB ram so don't think processor speed should be an issue.I tried it twice with the same results.

16. christophs

christophs Registered Member

6 seconds
    I dont undrestand well.
    This site is without malware, yes?
    Why it took so long?

17. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

With the latest KAV 6, that site took 165.437 sec to open. The same processor and RAM as you have.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, with webscan enabled, i have done it a few times again all between 3 & 4 secs and there isn't a difference whether with or without the webscan, the webscan will have different effect on all the setup possibilities there is, on mine, so low there is no reason to concern myself with it. I tried this on a 3200 Athlon XP (1gb ram, 4mb conncetion), so yours is probably equal or better than mine since was very optimisticly a 3200, the actual performance is more like 2800 compared to a Pentium.

Try to disable the webscan and check what the differences are. What other tools do you run?

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

FF,

What are the results with the Web Scanner turned off or using the Streaming Scan Option?

20. Firefighter

Quite slow I think, 9.141 sec. :doubt: I used already that Streaming Scan Option in that over 165 sec opening test.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

21. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

With WebScan enable 2.5-3.0 seconds.

22. wawy

wawy Registered Member

i thnik there is an issue with fasterfox, when i use it i have also some problem to dl some item on your site that i havent without ?! (i suppose you use fasterfox to give time like that) do you try without this plugin ?

23. Firefighter

I agree. FasterFox 1.0.3 seems to be only "MuchSlowerFox 1.0.3" in my laptop. :D Without it that site took only 11 sec to open with Web Anti-Virus enabled in KAV 6. :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. SSK

SSK Registered Member

One of the problems seen during beta testing of KIS / KAV 6 was with WebAV and Firefox Pipelining hack.

If anybody sees a slowdown with WebAV and uses Firefox, please check if you can solve it by disabeling Pipelining. :)

(I call it a "hack" because its an unsupported, experimental feature that Mozilla warns can cause problems with regards to connectivity on the web. That some people activate it in general public "tweak" packages is IMO not very responsible).

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yes.It appears the culprit was indeed "fasterfox".I uninstalled it and both enabled and turned off web scanning take around 7 seconds now.Thanks for clearing this up for me.153 seconds was annoying that's for sure.But in general, really like KIS 2006.The only other thing is the proactive defense needs to be tightened up as there are alot of false positives for me so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.