KIS slowing firefox

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends,I´ve read I think on Pc magazine a review of KIS and they said it slows downs firefox,is it true? I´m asking cause I´d like to install this famous AV,another question is about the right settings for best protection and fast browsing.
    Thanks for your help:)

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sure, it's possible and actually likely that the http scanner will have some impact on your browsing. You can disable it (I assume, don't have KAV or KIS installed now) if it bothers you. The firewall will also have a slight impact too, but that can probably be ignored for all practical purposes.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

First question - If you mean slow down in web page loading, it is possible but for me its not very noticeable.

Second question - I would set the Web Anti-Virus to Recommended.

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Just try for your self and see if it is working for you. There is surely no slow down here

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

KIS 7.0 slowed down FF loading certain webpages on my main rig, but it did not seem to affect IE. Even if I disabled the Web guard it still caused slowdowns. This is one of the reasons I switched to Antivir PE Premium.

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

There are also a lot of theads on this issue posted at the regular Kaspersky forum as well. Maybe if you have a issue you can find a solution. But yet again no slow downs here

7. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

Disabling pipelining should do it.

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Kis/Kav slows everything down for me!!

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I don't think it is KIS alone. Before I removed my anti-virus, software firewall etc
    I would take 20 seconds for a particular program to open. Now it takes 3 to 6 seconds. People talk about lite security but it is amazing how running just one more slows down a machine. Each slow down is almost imperceptible. There are only two ways to stops slow downs that I know of - (1) Buy a faster machine or (2) load less junk ;)

10. Big Apple

Have a pretty fast machine with 2 GB Ram and don't load any junk at all! But I have never been able to run Kav or Kis without a terrible slowdown. Same on previous machines.......so for me it is Kav\Kis and therefore never will try it again. The really only fast/light AV programs for me are: Nod32, Avira Premium and Avg Pro. At the moment Avg Pro + SuperAntispyware and things run like silk.

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry for not being clear - from my point of view KIS/KAV..NODdy...... are all pretty much "junk" - load enough of them and they will slow a machine down. Some do less harm than others but they all cause some slow down. I appreciate that to some the trade off is worth it.

12. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1
    ... 1) set Web-AV to Recomended
    ... 2) In Firefox, enter about:config in the address bar, filter pipe if any of the values say "true", right-click them and click "toggle" so they say "false"

13. Big Apple

Why should all this be necessary, come off it! This product needs a complete overhaul in order to get rid of this hassle. I can see all those 'noobs' at home frigging about with these programs!

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Why are you still replying in this thread, come off it!... you've made your point... you dont like KIS and ... I've replied with the common fix (if users have the problem)... just because you have an issue, doesnt mean everyone does, there may not even be a problem for with OP's PC and firefox if he left it at the default settings. anderb can decide for himself whether he wants to try out kaspersky... if he doesnt have a slowdown problem with it, he wont have to do anything... if he does have a slowdown, the most common fix is posted if he wants to sort it out.

Many users are running KIS with no issue, just because you had it, doesnt mean everyone else will.

15. Big Apple

I have read too many posts with issues regarding slowdowns with Kav/Kis, so it's not just me. And I'll reply to anything I like. ;)

16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Advantage of right of free speach I suppose :)
    Law of large numbers I suppose... the more people who use it, the more complaints you get (and the more posotive comments)... problem is that many people often dont voice positive, only negative... happens all the time :)

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm running it now & I've seen no slow down in firefox...

18. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends thanks for your replies,I´ve installed KIS but when I tested at shields up most of the doors were closed and not stealthed as it should be,I checked stealth mode on the 3 connections I have,but it didn´t worked:(
    Help please

19. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

are you using a router perhaps?

20. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Dear Plantextract,I´m not using a router ,I have a DLink 500G in bridge mode,before I install kis,I used windows firewall and I got stealth ports,but now with kis,most of my ports are closed:'(

21. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

22. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I had pipelining enabled with Kis,I had to disable it.I'm running Kis7 and i have no slowdowns because i feel it's the fastest suite i've ever ran.I'm behind a router with 3 comps hooked into it!:)

23. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's funny, I never have any of the problems people describe in here. Ever. No browsing slowdown. No checkdisk errors. No freezing at start-up. No installation/uninstallation problems... Nothing. This isn't just for Kaspersky either, but every security software product I've ever used. I always make it a point after uninstalling old softwares to clean up any invalid files or keys left over and defrag my PC. Maybe that's the discrepancy?

I can only imagine that some softwares aren't compatible with others, and that everybodys system is different. Don't know personally, because like I said, I never have these problems. It just stinks that one person who does have these problems can make a post and a bunch of people then take it as gospel and it depicts that product (unwarrantedly) in a bad light. I'd wager 99% of the problems are due to user error, not a flaw in the software itself.

I'm running KIS with full protection. I have everything running at maximum protection. All ports monitored, including encrypted connections. Full blown PDM... and there is absolutely no slowdown whatsoever. It's probably the best single security software I've ever used.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No problem here.
    Jerry

25. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Yes, I get Firefox slowdowns with KIS and Firefox. Pipelining is off when KIS is uninstalled. Does it come on when installed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.