KIS firewall rules for TOR/Privoxy basic help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sunrise, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Hi,

Anyone can tell me the firewall rules for tor and privoxy? (using them for basic privacy surfing only, so no advanced stuff such as filtering etc etc)

thanks!!

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi Sunrise :)

Some hints:

If you use Tor as server you must authorised:

the local port 9001 in TCP for incoming and outgoing connections
    and
    the local port 9030 in TCP if your check the option to have the directory mirror

Tor must be also authorised to connect to any remote port as client depending of your exit policy (check the torrc configuration file and the documentation for this...)

For Privoxy: this program loop in local on port 8118, Normallly no outside access to this program.

This screen capture of TCPView may give you an idea.

Attached Files:

3. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Thanks Climenole,

But i will not be using Tor as server, more of 'client'. Generally, i do not know much about networking lingo, socks etc etc, but my usage is basically install the tor bundle (privoxy and tor), and using firefox, sometimes when i surf i will like the possibility of anonymous.

But i do not want to allow all connections (in and out) for tor.exe and privoxy.exe, as i prefer to know exactly what connection in needed and/or ports rather than allow all..

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

On some firewalls Tor, Privoxy and Vidalia all need outbound access.

Just get it to work, you can narrow the rules down later.
    I recall your browser (Firefox?) needed port 8118 out as well. I am not sure what making really tight application rules gets you if the application is designed only to operate on certain ports. Remember, default rules for Zone Alarm give applications what is essentially trusted outbound status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.