kindly clarify some issues with ati home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DrPratik, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrPratik

DrPratik Registered Member

hi there,
    Dr.Pratik here,
    i have purchased new sony fz series laptop.
    i have certain doubts which i hope u will clarify
    supppose i have installed scronis true imshe home and taken complet backup for my vista laptop.i stored this image file on my hard disk partition (on ntfs )
    and i have made acronis rescue media.now my hard drive is non bootable.can i restore the system with acronis rescue disk and image syored on different partition of same hard drive.provided my hard drive is not physically damaged?
    can i use this software to restore my system?

also do i store my image files on dvd for complet system store?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, you can restore your C partition from an image of it stored on a different partition of the same drive. If the PC won't boot then you would use the TI rescue CD to do this restore. You can restore any partition on the HD except for the one the image is stored in. The reason for this is that one of the first things TI does before restoring a partition is to delete it which would cause your archive file to be destroyed before it could be restored.

You can store your backups on DVDs but if you have 3 or more you will likely spend a lot of time swapping DVDs in and out of the machine since TI does not read all of one DVD, then all of the next. It reads pieces from each one and a restore can therefore take a lot of time. Storing your backup on a USB External drive is a better choice. I do this but I do keep an extra backup on DVD for extra protection. When I make my backups on the USB drive or internal HD I always split them to fit on a DVD so I can copy them to DVD later if I wish.

The above is how everything can and should work. It is absolutely necessary that you test that TI can restore your image if necessary. By far the best method is to put a spare disk into your laptop and restore the archive from your USB or DVDs using the rescue CD. You may be reluctant to do this, and if so, the next best method is to boot your PC with the rescue CD and validate the archive on the USB or DVDs; this will give you confidence that the rescue CD (which is Linux) can run on your machine, see your devices and read the archive correctly. You can then run through the restore wizard up to the last screen but do not allow it to do the actual restore. This is a fairly good test but not as good as an actual test restore to a spare HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.