Kids hate scanning

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

My two kids hate the enforced regime of scanning using the security programmes every weekend as it deprives them of valuable internet time.

I currently make them run:

ccleaner and jvtools to clear registries (quite quick)
    ad-aware - all files
    ewido - all files
    update spyblaster
    antivir - all files

We have LnS and Winpatrol Plus installed as well.

Is there a way of protecting without having to scan?

Ian

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

your realtime programs should catch most malware but ondemand scans are still a good idea.

if your kids dislike running scans so much, u can take ad-aware off the list or just run the scans less often (every two weeks for example).

also its very much possible to browse the web while running a scan, so your kids dont have to pause their internet activities.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You could automate scanning as much as possible, setup a schedule for a scan with ewido. You could probably schedule a scan with Antivir too.
    @WSFuser Ewido uses too much resorces when scanning to surf the web comfortably.

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

You could schedule scans to run automatically at night if the software permits. AntiVir should. Which AAW are you using? The pay version schedules, last I knew. Switching to Firefox or Mozilla usually lessens how much unwanted junk gets installed on a PC. Might not work with all the games kids like though. The problem with scanners, and most anti-malware software in general is that they're reactive by nature, able to deal with identified threats, usually after the fact. No matter how many you use, they have no chance of detecting everything and even less chance of removing the nastier stuff that's circulating. A better approach would be to defend your system pro-actively, not allowing unwanted software or malicious code to get installed in the first place. Software now exists for home users that can accomplish this. If you're willing to invest some time configuring a good HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) application, their protection is as close to complete as you're liable to get with software. There are several good ones available now, including a good free version from System Safety Monitor. Besides blocking unknown processes and unwanted installs, it makes an excellent parental control tool, able to control access to files, programs, system folders, plus filter out web pages whose titles contain names you choose to block (like Sex, XXX, Warez, etc). It's a bit like WinPatrol on steroids, but has broader coverage. It also works with the older versions of windows as well as with XP. There are several threads on HIPS software in this section of the forum, with the 2 most recognized being Process Guard and System Safety Monitor. You might also look at the various sandboxing apps mentioned here too. All the better ones of both types of software can protect your system much more than definition file based scanners.
    Making kids truly accept that a PC and the net in general are not toys, but powerful tools can be a project. A lot of the people who I maintain PCs for have kids who care nothing about security, adware, etc, until popups start interfering with their games. I keep remembering one PC I maintain, the owners kids installed Kazaa (and all the garbage it comes with) 3 separate times. Finally put an end to that game with System Safety Monitor, won't let the Kazaa installer run. At least yours are scanning the system, even if they don't like it. Do they actually understand why you want them to follow that regimen, or do they just think you're over-reacting? Maybe have them visit the removal section of a forum with you, and show them threads from people who've had their bank accounts hacked from stolen passwords, individuals who've had their identities stolen, or someone pleading for help because some hacker keeps toying with them. If they see first hand examples of what the enemy does, they might better understand why you are concerned with security, and take it more seriously themselves.
    Rick

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

have them scan at night when they are sleeping

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

...and that's a good part of why I don't think a pure behavior blocker (HIPS) would be appropriate in this situation. I do think that creating limited user accounts would be appropriate, as well as more effective, free, and won't cause stability problems when a critical system component gets blocked (as happens with HIPS), along with some software that either does automated scans or can take care of such things without the need for running a scan.

Microsoft's Shared Computer Toolkit (along with it's manual) can explain how to set up limited user accounts, make it eaiser to create and maintain, and add more functionality found in (3rd party) commercial software. This is also free.

If you have the time to put into it, you could also set software restriction policies to really lock things down, also free and without the need to install anything else (assuming you already have service pack 2 (SP2). Some of this can be set in the Shared Computer Toolkit, to a limited extent.

There are always other options, with varying degrees of complexity and cost. As with so many things in life, it's always a matter of finding that balance between time and money. There's some great free software out there, but if you want some convenience features then you might want to invest at least a little into paid software. I would say to check out the shared computer toolkit, at least, as it can help you make the most of what you already have. If you don't know anything about limited user accounts, just read the manual and create a test account first that nobody will use.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

setup scheduled scan in the scheduler and put a weekly scan as invisable. then it will run and they can use the computer and they wont even know its running and you can check the report later. this is for antivir btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.