Keriver 1-click Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by timcan, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I totally agree. It makes 1CRP a good rescue possibility even if Windows crashes totally. Keriver's website indicates that 1CRP can do a full restore even if the system drive has been formatted. I HOPE I am understanding this correctly. Am I??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@everyone- QUESTION: For those of you who have used snapshot-type apps, such as RB or CTM -- do these programs offer the option to save snapshots onto a drive OTHER THAN the system disk? (1CRP does provide this option, which I like very much, and am using.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@pandlouk - GRRRREAT suggestions. I do hope you will volunteer to be a beta tester for Keriver Image {see post #38}.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

No there is no such option in RB or CTM. If HDD fails, it means everything is gone.

3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

It is one of the main aspects where FD-ISR Classie shines among all others of its kind.

-Edit-
    But not available to buy anymore, unfortunately!

FD-ISR was undoubtfully the best money I ever spend on any 0's & 1's, in all my life...

Please yesss do, pandlouk!

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

With all due respect, you are comparing apples to oranges - i.e., snapshot-type apps (e.g., EF/RB) to a disk-imaging app (1CRP).

1CRP (being a disk-imaging program) can direct its backup to other drives (just like all other disk-imaging programs). Other than the discontinued FD-ISR, snapshot-type programs save instantaneous snapshots to raw sectors on the system partition (only). However, those snapshots can be backed-up (via a disk-image) to any other drive!

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I am downloading it now. :)
    I'll give it a spin and report back you in a few hours.

-About "1-click Restore" preboot screen. I agree that the modification of the mbr should be optional but from my test I believe that users that do not have multiOS systems should enable it.
    "1-click Restore" uses Grub4dos and puts the boot manager in the backup-drive, this means that even if your system partition becomes corrupted you can still recover without using external media.

And since it uses grub4Dos I believe that would be nice not only to make the mbr modification optional but also to give the options to boot to the recovery environment by adding an entry to the windows boot manager or by modifying the partition boot sector. (these would make everyone happy)
    http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Grub4dos_tutorial

edit:
    @2010freesoho
    Can you please give some info about the settings "Speed Image Read", "Speed Incremental Backup" and "Get Run List Before Vss"?

thanks

Panagiotis

6. pandlouk

@2010freesoho
    I just finished testing keriver Image 5. (I liked alot the interface )
    Below I enumerated some bugs, annoyances and suggestions to make it better and more user friendly.

-1. A bug?
    If a name is given e.g. "BackUp" keriver names it as BackUp0.ego instead of BackUp.ego.

-2. It would be nice if keriver remembered the last directory used to backup and the last used settings(at least for the "Backup archive location" and the "back up creation settings").

-3. Directly related with the above. If you add a the feature to remember the last used backup archive location, you should differentiate the locations for images and folder/files archives. For example I prefer to have the file backups in different locations than my images.

-4. When asked to select a folder and give a name of the archive, the mouse should focus directly in the name tab after the user selected a folder. Now I had to click in the tab before entering the name.

-5. You should change how the wizard works.
    Personally I would prefer:

a) Select backup mode
    b) Select source files or source partition
    c) Select destination.
    d) Backup Creation Options

This way if a user selects differential or incremental mode he will have to:

a) select the diff or incremental mode
    *b) Select source files or source partition *this step should be skipped since the full backup already contains the source files/partition*
    c) select the destination (full backup/base file)
    *d) Backup Creation Options *this step should be skipped since the full backup already contains "Backup Creation settings"*

-6. Give the users the ability to mount the file archives as a drive or at least to view the contents (same way that wirar, winzip, 7zip, etc. do)

-7. The task manager does not allow to create tasks for file/folder backups. Do you plan to add it in the future?

-8. Would it be possible to diferentiate a bit the full, diff. and incr. files?
    Something like the following:
    for images
    *.ego = full image archive
    *_F1.ego = differential image archive
    *_I1.ego = incremental image archive

for file/folder backups
    *.efo = full file/folder archive
    *_F1.efo = differential file/folder archive
    *_I1.efo = incremental file/folder archive

And maybe give in the windows shell different colors/icons to each of them like 7zip does for displaying zips, rars, cabs etc.?

-9. Related with the above.
    Add a shell integration so when a user right clicks on a file/folder archive, two options appear:
    a. restore to the original location
    b. restore to new location

-11. When restored to the original location the default mode should be either "overwrite if older" or "do not overwrite" existing files. Distracted users could lose their data if the default action is "overwrite" as it is now.

-12. Give the users the ability to select the default file restore mode. Some prefer the original location while others prefer new location.

-13. File backup validation does not give reports like validation finished successfully. (Image validation works fine).

-14. The recovery cd misses the option to verify an image and the ability to restore folder archives. I think that both should be included.

-15. Is it possible to add an option to restore the content of an image archive without deleting the partition?
    Like synchronizing the contents of the partition with the contents of the image (new files/folders should be deleted, and existing files/folders should be restored if found newer or with different size from those of the image).
    This way users could use it as a ISR application and would make the restoration faster. It will be handy when testing new software.:)

-16. Do you plan to merge somehow the two products? For example if a user like them both and purchase a license of both, could the 1-Click Restore Pro be integrated as 1 click mode in the keriver menu and to use the 1-Click Restore automatic restoration?

ps. sorry for the very long post,
    Panagiotis

7. andylau

andylau Registered Member

2010freesoho,

I would like to ask one question : If I make a OS image from computer A, can I use the image to restore in computer B(of course, different configs)?

I think it is related to H.I.R (Hardware Independent Restore) or M.I.R. (Machine Independent Restore) or something like that. So does it support for that?:D

8. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Great post ! I'd like to add the support for encrypted images, if it's not there (wasn't in Keriver Image V4).

9. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hi, I also use FD-ISR and had a question. You mention that Keriver 1-Clickrestore is fully compatible with FD-ISR in your testing.

When I reboot my PC there is a boot menu screen that comes up for a few seconds from FD-ISR asking whether or not I want to boot to another option, how would that work if Keriver 1-Clickrestore has it's own boot screen option menu?

Would both boot screens come up upon restarting the PC?

I am trying to decide whether or not to trial this app, but I am quite happy with FD-ISR. Could you explain how this app differs from FD-ISR?

Would it make any sense to use both, or would you simply pick the one you like better?

Thanks

10. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

I'm on vacation today. So I will send you a free license key of Keriver Image to you tomorrow.
    And Thank you for the information about the coupon for Wilders. It's very helpful.

11. 2010freesoho

I'v received your email this time. Have you received my reply?

12. 2010freesoho

Yeah, I think it's a good advice and I will inform the developers about it. Thanks.

13. 2010freesoho

Wow, you are an expert!

14. 2010freesoho

Ok, I will report this problem to the developers and we will fix it soon. Thanks.

15. 2010freesoho

Hi, bellgamin
    I really appreciate your help.
    Just as the Board Admin said, there isn't a excellent way now. So, if any member at Wilders who want to get a coupon, please send me a private message and I will send a individual coupon to him.
    Meanwhile, if anyone have a better idea, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

16. pandlouk

Yes, I performed a quick test in an xp vm and they do not conflict.
    Both preboot menus appear. First appears the boot menu of "1-Click Restore" and then appears the boot menu of "FirstDefense-ISR".
    "1-Click Restore" uses the mbr to add its boot entry while "FirstDefense-ISR" uses the systems partition boot sector.
    The main difference is that "FirstDefense-ISR"'s principal function is that is an instant restore/rollback application while "1-Click Restore" is an image application(similar to acronis, paragon, shadowprotect, ImageForWindows, Drivesnapshot, etc.)
    -As Pete usually says ISRs are luxuries while imaging apps are a must have.
    The second difference is that "FirstDefense-ISR" when used as an"imaging/backup" program is file based app (compares the files dates/size between the source and the archive) while "1-Click Restore" is a sector based app (compares the occupied sectors of the partition with the archive).
    For disks with lots of data and files sector based imaging is faster than file based backup. (In Vista and 7 imaging apps are way faster).
    On the other hand FD-ISR gives the ability to exclude files/folders when restoring and in some cases is better (e.g. when you store lots of personal data on your system partition)

Personally I use both FD-ISR and imaging apps, and on 7 I tend to use less FD-ISR than I did on XP.

I suggest that you give it a try and if you like it grab a license.

hope it helps,
    Panagiotis

17. pandlouk

Thanks for the kind words, but not really... only some basic skills to survive the windows environment. :)

By the way do you plan to add support for 7 64bit?

thanks,
    Panagiotis

18. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes, merci beaucoup.
    And I'll be waiting for your following email by tomorrow...
    : )

19. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Thank you very much.
    Great explanation.

I may just trial this app as you suggested and see what happens.

I hate to fix what's not broken, but I'm always looking to try new things.

Thanks again.

20. 2010freesoho

"Speed Image Read" option checked can speed up reading from backup image files. It's now very reliable and so it's been enabled by default.

"Speed Incremental Backup" option checked can speed up incremental backup and it's still in debug stage and so it's been unchecked by default.

"Get Run List Before Vss" option is used to test some technique issues and so it's been unchecked by default.

21. 2010freesoho

Great! Thanks for your test and excellent advices.
    We will check your advices one by one carefully and then decide which ones should be modified right now and which ones should be modified later.

22. 2010freesoho

In this case, I think you'd better run sysprep before make a backup of your operating system.

23. 2010freesoho

Yes. We are planning to implement this function in next version.

24. 2010freesoho

Yes, We are planning to support Win7 64bit fully and It's not a difficult issue.

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just GOTTA quit messing around with my computer. I got curious & installed Comodo Time Machine (CTM) -- it totally screwed my MBR. I had an MBR back-up but couldn't get into Windows to use it.

After much trial & error, I finally remembered that "T" was the code that would get Image for DOS to rebuild a standard MBR. So I got my computer back & got rid of all remaining vestiges of CTM. I know -- some folks are really happy with this program -- but it sure as heck did NOT like my computer and, believe me, the feeling was mutual.

Lessons learned. . .

1- Stop messing around with comodo software

2- 1CRP does NOT offer an option to restore a wounded MBR.

3- An MBR back-up is pretty useless if I have to run Windows in order to use it.

4- Image for DOS offers the option to restore the MBR to "standard" state, but sheesh -- why require me to remember to use code "T" in order to invoke it? Makes no sense. I just got lucky.

@2010freesoho - "restore MBR" would be a handy add-on for 1CRP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.