Kerio 2.15 VS Outpost Pro, Which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hpnotiq, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Registered Member

Which would you choose and why?

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I would choose Kerio 2.15 because it is free, uses very little memory and has a very nice interface.

But, you should try out both of them and decide on your own experience.

3. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Outpost for me used too much memory.

I tried many other firewalls, but I kept on coming back to Kerio with Blitenzeus's configuration ^_^

4. Hpnotiq

what's Blitenzeus configuration? and where can i get it lol

5. Hpnotiq

What's special about it?

6. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I achieve a Stealth status over at www.GRC.com with Kerio and his config set ^_^

Also it looks like BZ has done lots of research in order to come up with his ruleset. Just read through that topic and you'll see :)

7. Hpnotiq

Which of the 2 rulesets should i download?

8. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

The one at the bottom of that page. It is the latest and final version.

Try the Advanced version first :D

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Read the entire thread and at or near the bottom, download the Final version from the link. I think (if I remember right) that there are 2 versions of the rule set in the archive. Take your pick... ;)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

The Kerio 2.5 isn't support anymore.

The Outpost Pro have a better and last advanced protection... Great GUI, information and easy to use.

The main advantage of Kerio is the RAM resource and is free, but you try the free version of Outpost that also doesn't have support.

Try yourself and see what it's better for your...

11. Hpnotiq

I loaded the advanced config file in Kerio, is anythign supposed to happen differently now? LOL

12. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

:D
    Outpost Hands Down!!
    Why? Its The Best!!
    So Why Mess With The Rest??;)

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used Kerio 2.1.5 for 5 years, and it never caused any problems or let me down.

I have a new computer and have been trying several firewalls and AV and other security software. I tried OP and others on my old computer, but just went back to Kerio 2.1.5. I am using the paid version of LnS on my new computer. So far it is fine, but I am not sure it is any better in a practicable sense than Kerio.

In the future I may go to Kerio on my new computer. I don't know what a firewall can do other than work and protect. Kerio always did that. For the five years that I used it along with Norton AV I did not once have any malware get on my computer. I did not use a anti trojan program, although I am using Ewido on my new one.

I am not very smart about computers, but mine just worked and stayed safe. What more should I want?

Jerry

14. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

With Kerio 2.1.5, you have to be willing to spend some time working on the rules and learning. If you're not, then another choice might be better for you. Kerio takes some time to configure right.

You can ask questions at the site where you downloaded BZ's rule set or probably here as well. But you'll have to ask specific questions to get any sensible answers.

I'd recommend reading the entire thread on BZ's rule set (as mentioned above) and then doing what's mentioned in that thread. You need to set up your DHCP and DNS servers as well as other things. Takes some time to do. You can rely on your log file to provide you with important information.

16. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is my choice. As another poster stated. It uses very few system resources. It has always stealthed all ports at..grc, pcflank, and sygate. I just want a firewall. No extra bells and whistles, as they tend to use up needless system resources.

Outpost is a good firewall. Some users have complained it slows their system down, and is a resource hog. I don't know. I haven't tried it in years. I used the free version of outpost for a while. According to some users on here.They are having conflicts with various software while using the latest version of outpost. I don't know...Like I said, I don't use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.